Wanting to back out

ItsTimeNow99
on 10/28/17 2:25 am

Shannon, I agree completely with Paige and everyone who has posted thus far.

This surgery is life changing, but in nothing but positive ways. I was sleeved a year ago and feel 30 years younger (at 64 that's really cool!). I have no more knee pain and can do things now that I haven't been physically able to do in years. The surgery is really a breeze and way less than many others. The first day or two you may been uncomfortable, but a lot of that is just getting into your routines.

You can do this....for yourself and your family. You will be healthier and happier and will laugh about these concerns in a few months.

You can do this!!!

Pat

HW -265; SW - 251; CW - 154

Surgery Date- 10/12/2016!!

Shannon S.
on 10/28/17 6:10 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Thanks so much for taking time out to share. This is exactly what I needed.

Nurseratchet76
on 10/28/17 2:53 am

Shannon I know exactly where you're coming from. I am also registered nurse and on our unit in the hospital we get a lot of bariatric patients and we also get patients that are admitted with complications from the surgery. So when you say you are apprehensive I am with you all the way. I keep questioning myself and second-guessing but honestly I am already suffering the consequences of being fat. Joint pain sleep apnea pre-diabetic just tired all the time low self-esteem. I also hate being that healthcare worker that has to tell other people to be healthy when I myself don't feel healthy. For me this is the last resort my last option I've just had nothing but yo-yo dieting my whole life so hopefully this tool will help not only extend my life but also help me live my life now. I go in November 15th with the mindset that this is going to change my life for the better.

Shannon S.
on 10/28/17 6:17 am
VSG on 11/07/17

You sound just like me! Same health issues and everything. I left the hospital and went into home care, and took care of two patients in the field, who had complications. As nurses we always see the negative outcomes, even though they are far and few between. Feeling better today, after these wonderful posts, my very supportive husband, and my successful RNY-er mother talking me down off the ledge. I feel good to go. Wishing you the best with your surgery as well.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/17 3:41 am
VSG on 10/11/16

Here is some perspective from a great big tough guy. I was scared stiff. Like a little girl. In a cemetery. Alone. At midnight. With noises all around. But I went through with it. It has been almost 11 months since surgery for me.

I am, as of today, down 200 lbs. I don't get on here much but I figured I would post about that, and saw this. Are there risks? Yes. They are still minimal to what you will suffer if your allow your obesity to go unchecked. This is not the only way, but it is a better way. I would argue it is the best way.

No one can make the decision for you, but as a nurse, you are likely familiar with all the technology that goes behind this, and you should have a good idea of the competence of the people who will have you in their hands. And as a nurse, you likely have a better handle on what is going on with your body than a lot of people. Make a decision, and go with it. Second guessing only leads to frustration and fear. Been there. Done that. Overcame it. You can do it too.

Shannon S.
on 10/28/17 6:20 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Thank you! Brought a little tear to my eye this morning. I appreciate you taking time out to respond. 200 lbs in 11 months is simply awesome. Congratulations!

catwoman7
on 10/28/17 8:27 am
RNY on 06/03/15

as a nurse, you're way more familiar with this stuff than I am, but from everything I've read, it's no more dangerous than having your gall bladder out, and safer than a hip replacement surgery. On the surgery continuum, it's one of the safer ones out there. People have died having tonsillectomies. But seriously, what are the odds of that? The statistics are way in your favor of having an excellent outcome.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Shannon S.
on 10/28/17 8:34 am, edited 10/28/17 8:25 am
VSG on 11/07/17

You?re so right. I just have to believe that God will see me through this, and that I will have a great outcome. Thanks for the response.

SkinnyBonz38
on 10/28/17 10:22 am

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I too have not had wls due to fear of the what ifs. And it's worst for me because it is going on three years. I am down just 25 pounds of my highest weight. I feel bad because my insurance covers 100% of the costs. I have a young girl to come in to assist me after surgery who will take care of everything.

I do not like being FAT but I am more afraid of the surgery outcomes. I have a posted list of possible outcomes and the time frame in which they may occur. This week I am ready, oh but next week I am fearful enough not to pursue. I have cried wolf so many times concerning wls no one listens when I speak of it. I don't understand why I can't be excited about wls the way everyone else is. I just don't know.

I do come to this site daily, after all it is Obesity Help and not just WLS Help. I pick up many tips and apply them. The scale moves slowly but I am dropping inches daily which is kinda weird. I would like to conclude wls is not for everyone but i believe there is more to it. I just haven't figured out what it is yet. I think there may be something wrong with me mentally I just have't figured that out yet either.

Shannon S.
on 10/28/17 3:33 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Thanks. I really hope that you can make a choice that you are happy with. I consider myself a pretty strong willed person. I have overcame so much in my life which makes me feel like I can do anything. Weight loss isn't one of them, and I've come to terms with it. I gave myself a year, and said if I didn't get a significant amount of weight off, I would move forward with wls. Well 1 year turned to 2 years. I've been dancing around the idea of surgery for a long time. I'm falling apart. It's time. Petrified or not. Wishing you all the best.

Most Active
Recent Topics