Feeling depressed/ emotional after surgery. Having regrets of my decision

Cres89
on 10/26/17 5:30 pm
VSG on 10/20/17

Thank you thank you thank you. After reading all these messages throughout the day has given me so much encouragement and hopefulness that things will get better. :)

mylastchance
on 10/26/17 5:02 pm

Hi,

Take a deep breath and just relax. Think about WHY you had the surgery. I had about 30 seconds of regret on my way home from the hospital. I started to lose it.....then all of a sudden remembered of the 50 years of misery preceding the surgery and realized this is the first day of the rest of my life and I am going to be alright ..... and I was right. It has been the best decision ever. I only wish I hadn't of had to wait so long for the opportunity to come along. Feeling like your old self is what got you into the situation of needing WLS....you need to find your new self your happier self your thinner healthier self. Breath and follow the plan set out by your Dr. and you will find your new you.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Erin T.
on 10/26/17 5:48 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

It will get better and this is not uncommon, I promise. I had more than one sobfest over something totally stupid in those first days. In addition to fat loss and hormone dump, you are also dealing with anesthesia leaving your body and that makes you feel gross too. Two weeks from now this will be a memory and the scale will be moving!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Cres89
on 10/26/17 6:38 pm
VSG on 10/20/17

Erin.... thank you so much !! I feel like I have been embraced by all these forum friends who understand my situation. Thank you for the encouraging words. I'm so grateful I found this place. :)

azmichy
on 10/26/17 7:44 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

My surgery was Tuesday and I feel the same. I had my band out and went to sleeve. I have issues with anxiety and especially when I'm on pain meds so have not slept much and today I want something to eat. I'm hopefully it will pass quickly. I hope you feel better.

Lap Band 09/17/2003 HW-276 SW-225 LW-167

Revision to VSG 10/24/17 HW-244 SW-217.8 CW-179.6

Pre-op:0~M1:17~M2: 6.6~M3: 7.8~M4: 6.7

Mirandia
on 10/27/17 1:33 am
VSG on 03/14/17

I know it's a bit rough right now, but this is just your healing phase. I personally had what could be any "easy" time of it .. but I still didn't really feel like myself for a good month and a half. I slept a lot and I couldn't do much of anything excep****ch TV.

Now that I've lost almost half of my extra weight I'm discovering that I didn't feel like myself BEFORE the surgery either. I'm in less pain and in a better mood ... I didn't even notice how much pain I was living with every day because that had become my "normal"

Let me tell you ... finding your new normal is a wonderful thing.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Cres89
on 10/27/17 4:04 am
VSG on 10/20/17

Thank you Miranda! I try to be active, walk around my apartment or go outside to the mailbox 1-3 times a day. However after the walks I get sleepy and end up napping on the sofa. Thank you for your advice. I'm looking forward to my new normal.

:)

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/17 3:16 pm

Cres89,

This too will pass!

Give yourself time to recover, clearing the anesthesia takes days, not minutes and hours. Hormone changes will affect you. just know this is temporary. I had a precourser to the surgeries done now but 23 years ago. and had the "doubting-Debbie" as well.

I have read what many others have posted and they are spot on. This is a very common reaction in the early post surgical phase. Of course you are different... you are a butterfly coming out of it's ****oon!

You have not begun to realize the bet benefits from surgery yet, so it is very normal to be unsure of the outcome.... Be sure to get the proteins in that you are prescribed. and follow the surgeons instructions exactly re: your supplements...That alone will boost your energy. B 12 in sublinguals and protein were my best friends..(smile)

Denise
Cres89
on 10/27/17 4:12 pm
VSG on 10/20/17

Thank you so much for your advise. I did buy B-12 in liquid form to add a few drops in to my water. Hopefully it'll help :).

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/17 6:38 pm

For best absorbtion of B complex or B 12 in liquid, place it under your tongue for a minute and hold it there, then swallow.. much of B vitamins are destroyed in the stomach acids.

Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics