Surgery Update Day 20 Post Op

NanceC
on 10/24/17 10:09 am
VSG on 10/05/17

I had a good night sleep finally, slept on my belly first time since surgery. I had lap band out and sleeve done at the same time. No issues with the lap band removal as surgeon said came right out no problem's. I stay in the hospital one night. I will say I am age 60 and it took a little more time to get better. I had a lot of pain in my left side where they took the stomach and lap band out. It actually hurt more around day 10 through 18. I weigh 229 today and two weeks before surgery I weigh 249. No pre surgery diet I had 52 pounds still off from lap band 2008 surgery. I only took 4 pain pills in total after surgery. The pain I was having was like I did 100 crunches more like a soreness in the stomach muscles around the incisions. I had no drains, and my incisions heeled in two weeks totally you can't even see two of them I am lucky as I heel real quick with minimal scaring. Wish I could say that about extra skin. I did have my arms done after lap band and I am really happy with them but, that is as far as I go. At age 60 everyone has some kind of skin issue and I am happy with myself for just trying to make the best of my golden years. Although I feel the same now as I did at 40. My face will get drawn as I lose more weigh and the fillers they use work great. I don't want anymore surgery's if I can help it. I will always call my lap band surgery a success because it started my journey to a healthy weight and I was one of the lucky ones that it helped. To be honest with you the sleeve was experimental when I had the lap band. If I knew the stats on lap band vs sleeve I would have had the sleeve back in 2008. I am on the mushes stage of the diet and get full real fast. I see a lot of vsg rock there sleeves 6 months to a year out. I know I will lose at a slower pace I will get there in a year and half but that is okay with me as long as I stay there for the rest of my life. No hurry it only took me 60 years to get to the point I am now. This post is about my feelings and opinion's nobody has to agree or disagree with me. I have been on this site on and off since surgery in 2008. And, if I have any questions I just google the search and my questions have been ask over and over again. So I don't post often because I search for answers first if there was one thing I could recommend to the new comers is use the search and you will be surprised by how many people have ask the same questions you have and you don't have to wait for answers. Good luck all October surgery's look forward to reading your posts.

myladybug101
on 10/24/17 10:14 am
VSG on 05/23/12

I'm glad to hear you're doing well! I'm 65 and pretty leery but my surgeon consultation is on this Friday 10/27. Any tips??

NanceC
on 10/24/17 1:01 pm
VSG on 10/05/17

Hi,

My tips would be make sure your healthy to go through surgery. Learn as much as you can about what is expected of you after surgery, and that you will be able to comply with the rules. If you like slider food like ice cream and eat when stressed I would think hard before having a major surgery, they remove 85% of your stomach and surgery is only a tool to help you stop overeating. I am not discouraging you just want to make sure you understand every aspect of the surgery. Only you can decide if it is right for you. Good Luck!

myladybug101
on 10/24/17 1:11 pm
VSG on 05/23/12

Thank you so much! Its funny that you mention ice cream as I have stopped eating it for some time now. And you know what? I am not missing it. I do believe it is a life change and a different relationship with food, which I welcome with open arms. Thank you so much!

NanceC
on 10/24/17 1:16 pm
VSG on 10/05/17

Your Welcome, if your ready go for it! I am happy and I was ready. As Oprah say's if not now when?

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/17 10:41 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

Congrats on your VSG. It sounds like you are doing great!

Most Active
Recent Topics