Trying to lose weight - failing

kaapuni
on 10/23/17 1:30 pm - San Francisco, CA

hi everyone! i started eating low carb 3 weeks ago. i lost the first 2 weeks but then the 3rd week, i slowly started gaining weight back. i literally haven't been waiting carbs. today, i decided to cut out the coffee because i put use cream in it. i hope that will help.

i am really frustrated. i leveled out at 155lbs for the last 1.5 yrs. prior to that i was 145lbs. i feel like i hardly eat anything compared to others and yet here i am on a diet.

has anyone had trouble losing weight years after surgery? was there something that helped?

thank you~

Gwen M.
on 10/23/17 1:41 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you aren't already, start measuring and tracking everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal. That will show you what you're consuming and help you figure out what you need to change.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 10/23/17 3:07 pm - Warren, OH

It gets harder every year for me, I have to eat less to maintain and I gain very easily now at 10 years out.

The only thing that works for me is careful counting of calories. I also track protein, carbs, fat, fiber, and water. I weigh every day and take action with any gain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

kaapuni
on 10/23/17 3:14 pm - San Francisco, CA

i feel like we hardly eat anything as it is. i just don't see how i could be getting in enough calories. especially the last 3 weeks since i have out out everything except meat.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/23/17 3:38 pm, edited 10/23/17 9:14 am

Sometimes body decide to hold on to water. Consistency - long term proper diet can help losing fat.

I am at goal and my weight can fluctuate up to 2-3 lb within any 24 hours, and 5-6 lbs during any 7 days. I can see 141 or 147 during the same week. Hormones, salt, BM , inflammation due to exercise or just because... I try to weigh every day, but I look at average. My very low weight can be on days that I really did very low carb, or just very little food for at least couple of days, while having very good BM. My highest weight can be due to exercise, and Chinese food I had the day before... Plus not a complete BM (constipation). My personal goal is 140-150...(realistic) so as long as the numbers are somewhere in that range - I am fine. When I see my average going up, and it see too many 144- 145s in one week - I adjust my eating until the average drops to below 145 and stays there for at least 2-3 weeks.

Also - read on IF , intermittent fasting, where people eat during a time window in every 24 hours. That helped me to lose the last of my regain, but also got my IBS-C much better. I started doing the IF to help my IBS, the weight loss was an unexpected bonus. I typically fat 14-16 hour, and eat during 8-10 hour window.

Too many proteins can cause weight stalls. Proteins require insulin and that may cause stalls. I often eat as many good fats as I eat proteins. I chose avocado, nuts, olives, butter, bacon etc. Natural fats. 800 call per day - I may get 300 calories from proteins, 400 call from fat, and 100 calories from carbs., When I am trying to lose weight.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kaapuni
on 10/23/17 6:31 pm - San Francisco, CA

800 calories?! wow!!

i was drinking bulletproof coffee but didnt today, thinking maybe that was it.

i felt content where i was at 155. i felt the weight was high but i have had reconstructive surgery, so i have felt better about myself. i have 1 surgery left and my dr recommended that i drop 10-15 lbs for it. the idea was that i would do that and then maintain but this is proving to be much harder than expected.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/24/17 4:47 am

It may be hard because your body fat % may be low enough that your body may not want to do it. If you are happy with the way to are - don't force it. I would not. Because once you run out if body resources- you may have a really hard time to heal after surgery.

I always lose weight after any surgery. Pain, pain pills, nausea..I often eat very lightly post op. After my last surgery- I lost app 5-6 lbs - and IMO - that was a lot of muscles - my body needed proteins to heal. And I could not eat enough during my first 4-5 days post op. And protein shakes made me sick.

I sold not go into a surgery depleted. I wood try to eat lots of proteins and good fats. Some good carbs (fruits, veggies) to have enough resources for 4-5 days post op.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kaapuni
on 10/23/17 6:33 pm - San Francisco, CA

when your average drops to where you are happy, are you able to resume your regular eating to maintain?

Gwen M.
on 10/23/17 7:06 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

What is "regular eating?"

You'll need to follow the VSG way of eating for the rest of your life if you want to maintain your weight loss. If you go back to the way you ate before VSG, you'll go back to what you weighed before VSG.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kaapuni
on 10/23/17 8:10 pm - San Francisco, CA

im 7 years out. i more meant, like eating like you normally do. like i am dieting now so i am not having iced latte's but i usually have a couple every day. i really really miss those. otherwise, i normally don't eat bad in general. i have maintained my weight for several years. i was just looking to drop some for a surgery that i have in jan.

Most Active
Recent Topics