looking for a good life coach

lindacarroll44
on 10/18/17 9:31 pm

I am 6 months post sleeve and want to find a good life coach who works with bariatric patents. I know i have struggled with binging in the past and want to continue to make the right food choices. Thanks

Paige7
on 10/19/17 5:08 am

Paige O'Mahoney, M.D. is a physician, author and life coach. She is AMAZING and really understands the bariatric patient and the medical side of things. She is kind, funny and really smart. She has helped me really understand a lot of why I overeat. I can't recommend her highly enough. She works with clients all over. Her website it: www.deliberatelifewellness.com

Good luck!

Paige (but not Paige O'Mahoney, M.D. - LOL!)

Gwen M.
on 10/19/17 6:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you considered a therapist or a support group?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Fredbear
on 10/19/17 7:47 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Second this. "Life coaches" are just New Age SWW crap. If you need help (and it's great that you realize you need help!) get a professional, don't waste your time on junk you hear from Oprah-types.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Donna L.
on 10/19/17 8:35 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If you are struggling with true bingeing, I suggest seeing a therapist rather than a coach. Almost always this is due to reasons other than food and food addiction. It also almost always requires longer treatment than you might imagine.

Some coaches are...actually not that bad, and I sometimes will do short-term consulting for issues versus therapy. However, if there's a behavioral cause that's not resolved by willpower, generally a therapist is better, because it's not just you making bad decisions.

Binges are about maintaining control and not making crappy choices. Coaches cannot legally treat pathology; they can give you strategies and stuff, though, that's helpful. A therapist can actually take a look and determine if there is pathology. I'd consult an experienced clinician who treats eating disorders and get an assessment; you can always see a coach after if you don't need it, but it's devastating to have binge episodes and get incorrect treatments.

Also, not to be the eternal pessimist on the forums yet again, however I prefer therapists because they have malpractice insurance and can be sued if they are idiots. Coaches are much harder to sue and get remuneration from if there is gross negligence or ineptitude at work.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Fredbear
on 10/19/17 9:16 am
VSG on 11/29/16

The malpractice point is one reason I immediately discounted the surgery in Mexico approach. I'm sure there are many successful surgeries in Mexico (and many on this board have had success with surgery in Mexico, for certain!), but having once been in the medical field, I know that things happen - and that wasn't a risk I was willing to take. Not within my comfort level.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Grim_Traveller
on 10/19/17 9:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I would also recommend a licensed therapist. I've seen a bunch of bariatric "life coaches," and their advice was more detrimental than anything.

Anyone can call themselves a life coach or a nutritionist. Beware.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/19/17 9:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm tempted to call myself a life coach. I would set up a service where I would text my clients a picture of a fluffy puppy or fuzzy little kitten a few times a day to make them smile.

That counts, right???

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/19/17 9:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Talk to your surgeon's office. It is VERY common for WLS patients to attend therapy/counseling/etc., and your doctor may have a list of clinicians that they refer patients to.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 10/21/17 9:50 am - Warren, OH

If you want to discuss boyfriend issues and have money to throw away, see a Life Coach.

Don't risk your health seeing a life coach for health reasons. Find a real therapist.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics