Chewable vitamins forever?

theAntiChick
on 10/19/17 7:09 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My surgeon had us taking pills no larger than an M&M the day after surgery, and said larger than that it's an issue of individual tolerance, she expected us to be able to swallow pretty much any pills by about a month out. So I've never used the chewables. I use the Celebrate bariatric capsules with iron, I get them from Amazon, and they're normal sized capsules, not horse pills.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/17 7:02 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I will look at those, because my women's 1 a day is absolutely massive. I have to cut it in half.

Donna L.
on 10/19/17 8:41 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

In theory, regular capsules for us are fine. I've taken regular capsules for over a year with basically no issues.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Fredbear
on 10/19/17 9:20 am
VSG on 11/29/16

My surgeon let me move to pills once I was done with all my food restrictions, i.e., at 2 months.

I was glad to lose the carbs from the chewables.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Ladyblu
on 10/19/17 9:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

Before surgery I had to take over 20 pills a days for various reasons, prophylactic antibiotic (1 - HUGE pill), BP(12), diabetes(1), thyroid (1), depression(1-2), lasix, hctz, and 5+ supplements (iron, B6, B12, Folic acid, Vit D, maternal multi-vit - all doctor prescribed as I had had a flesh eating bacteria about 5 years ago and we were still boosting my system). In the time leading up to surgery I lost over 60 pounds so number that I was taking was seriously reduced. Immediately after surgery, they took me off even more.

Now, I take: prophylactic antibiotic (1 - HUGE pill), depression (1), BP (3 1/2), thyroid (1) and do (Celebrate) 2 chew-able multi, 2 chew-able calcium and a sublingual B12. It is a far cry from the meds prior to surgery. The only pill i have a problem with is the antibiotic. It is HUGE.

I crush that one and put it in cottage cheese, soup or something liquidy. Tastes nasty as hell, but it is the only way. I'm afraid if I swallow it whole, it will get stuck in my pouch and that would not be a good thing.

Once I am out of chew-ables I will move over to capsules. First, I hate spending the 70 calories an 12 carbs a day on the chew-ables. Also, I have discovered an easy way to take the pills. I chew up something (whatever I'm eating and then pop a couple of little ones or a medium pill in my mouth, tuck in into what I've chewed up and swallow.

Down they go and my pouch is none the wiser. Getting the crushed antibiotic down is alot harder and I've gagged once or twice, but I'll be damned if I'm going back to the hospital with another infection!

For me it is a matter of mind over matter.

Diane

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

Valerie G.
on 10/19/17 11:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Absolutely!

I never once took a chewable vitamin.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics