anyone has blue cross blue shield of iowa?

rekamelbort
on 10/14/17 6:42 pm

I know the supervised diet is supposed to happen prior to surgery.

wanted to know if anyone with bcbs of iowa needed to do 3months or 6 months.

iif in fact i do need to do 6 months can i start lets say weigh****chers PRIOR to the consultation allyogether?

i wont have my consultation until after the 1st of the year bt figured if it would count the dieting prior to that i could start ww.

Cathy H.
on 10/15/17 9:56 am
VSG on 10/31/16

It depends on your employer and the requirements they have in your plan. All BC/BS Iowa plans won't be the same because employers add in their own requirements. You need to call the number on the back of your card and ask them, that's the only way to know for sure.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/17 11:04 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

Cathy is right. Each insurance plan's coverage and requirements vary and they are based in large part on the coverage your employer wants you to have, although the federal law requires coverage for some things (but this list is currently shrinking under Trump). Federal law does not require insurance providers include coverage for bariatric surgery. I would check my plan's booklet really carefully to see if there are any exclusions for bariatric surgery. The coverage booklet will not tell you if you have to complete any steps before coverage kicks in, such as medically-supervised weight loss. Your surgeon's office can contact your BCBS #, or you can call them, to get those details. But do be sure to check what is in writing regarding coverage as well, because insurance companies can and do make mistakes.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/15/17 4:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

As others have said, you'll need to check your specific plan to find this out.

Check your benefit book. I have BCBS AZ, and they listed the coverage criteria, including supervised diet, in there.

You will also need to figure out if Weigh****chers will count as a supervised diet. From my understanding, it usually doesn't. Most of the people here who've fulfilled such a requirement had to check in with a doctor (either their surgeon or BP) for a monthly weigh-in while watching what they eat.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics