I feel like I messed up.

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/17 8:40 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

Don't beat yourself up, but instead work towards meeting your goals. My surgeon gave me a really cool trick that I've been trying to share a lot because I think it helped to get over the hydration hurdle. After surgery, they gave me 30ml (1 oz) plastic medicine cups (but I think a shot glass filled half-way would do the trick). Breaking your goal up into little goals helps to get over the hump. If you just start out by setting a goal for you to drink a medicine cup of fluid every 15 minutes, that will get you 4 ounces an hour and if you're awake for 16 hours out of the day, you will get your 64 ounces in, but in tiny attainable goals. Give it a try...it really helped me at first.

Also you might try something other than cranberry juice as it's pretty acidic and might be irritating your stomach and making you feel full when perhaps your stomach is just not happy with what you're putting in it. I would try adding in a protein shake (poured it into the medicine cups). You can thin it out with water or milk if it's too much for you to begin with.

The first several days are the toughest. Just set small goals for yourself and keep working to fit in more fluid and protein. When you start to progress your diet, you might want to try to use the small goals trick again. I bought some adorable little ramekins to put my pureed food in and I eat it using an espresso spoon. That automatically gives a controlled portion and forces you to eat slowly.

NYMom222
on 10/9/17 9:33 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You are counting fluids and not jus****er... Especially in the beginning your protein drinks count too...3 liquid meals, s shakes and 30oz of water sounds great to me. All fluids are going to keep you from getting dehydrated not jus****er.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Luvmygs
on 10/10/17 12:30 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

You're just a week post op. I was told to be more concerned abou****er after surgery. Your protein shakes will take time. I know it took me about 3 weeks to actually get 1 protein shake down. But, its very important that you get the water down. You don't want to get dehydrated. I lived off sugar free popsicles, sf jello, water and a few sips of protein shakes the first couple of weeks. You'll be good.

Most Active
Recent Topics