Let the process begin!

rachellynn104
on 10/6/17 10:44 am

I just received my phone call that I was approved to begin the process for the VSG surgery, but I was told that I am right around 36% BMI, and if I happen to lose some weight that I will no longer qualify for surgery...

Never would I ever expect to be told to watch so that I don't lose too much weight??

I have 6 months of 1:1 nutrition counseling to go through, I want to be able to commit to the process-- but I am also afraid that this is going to cause me to lose weight and then slip into the weight to no longer be eligible. (which was explained to me that it could be just a matter of 10lbs!) The whole reasoning for surgery was to help my diabetes go into remission... along with helping my PCOS, high blood pressure, etc.

Anyone have a similar experience, and able to give some positive feedback? I feel a range of different emotions at the moment between happy/excited, scared/nervous, and worried that I may end up not qualifying after getting my hopes up that I did qualify.

Leanne1703
on 10/7/17 5:29 am, edited 10/6/17 10:30 pm
VSG on 02/06/18

Hi! I actually had to gain like 6 lbs to qualify for the 40 BMI, as I don't have any comorbid conditions. Like you, my insurance required 6 months of nutrition. I gained the weight BEFORE my consult with the bariatric office. It is the weight at the consult at the bariatric office that gets submitted to insurance. And you are encouraged to lose weight. I had the same EXACT question. If i lost weight, I will be below the BMI , will I no longer qualify?! The answer is yes, u will still qualify! As long as u meet the requirements at your consult, you are free & encouraged to lose weight!!!

Gwen M.
on 10/7/17 7:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Sadly, different insurance companies have different rules/regulations regarding this. So the OP should check with their own insurance.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rachellynn104
on 10/9/17 12:46 pm

Thank you both for posting! My appointment is in November, so we shall see what they tell me. Hopefully it's just that I have to be that weight at the initial appointment and then the weight after that will be okay. I'm borderline for the surgery due to my weight, but have 3 diabetes medications (at a high dose) so my doctor is pushing me to go through with the surgery to try to help regulate the diabetes/put into remission.

Most Active
Recent Topics