Is wine ever ok?

carolw1229
on 9/29/17 2:22 pm
VSG on 10/18/17

My VSG surgery is in three weeks. Lap band also being removed. Will I ever be able to have a glass of wine again? If so, when?

C

Gwen M.
on 9/29/17 2:26 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Best to wait until you're ready to stop losing weight. And, even then, it can be tricky because we are risk for developing transfer addiction issues - i.e., transferring our food issues to other things, like alcohol.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/29/17 3:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Alcohol is Bad News after surgery. It's nothing but empty calories and carbs that our bodies don't need. It also puts a strain on your already-taxed liver that can make you quite sick.

Because of your altered anatomy, alcohol will often hit you much harder post-op than it did before. I've seen many reports over the year from people who found themselves completely sloshed after a single drink.

Most importantly, many people face "transfer addiction" when they're not able to self-medicate with food as they could before surgery. This is incredibly dangerous.

So in general, you're best to avoid alcohol COMPLETELY until you reach goal, and only consume occasionally (and carefully!) after. While some people on the boards claim that they can drink moderately while losing-- either at first or while fighting regain-- I remain skeptical that this is either healthy or a good idea.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/17 4:17 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

This article answers the question well: http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/should-wls-post-ops-drink-alcohol-after-surgery

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/29/17 4:41 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'd wait not only when you get to goal but are maintaining for awhile. Old habits can come back hard when you're maintaining. After that I'd experiment with a very small amount. Alcohol will get to your head quick! So make sure someone else is around to help you, just in case.

In the long run you're gonna have to be really picky whenever you drink. The calories come on quick & the toll it takes on your body is not easily seen by the naked eye.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

NYMom222
on 9/29/17 6:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Will you ever be able to have a glass of wine again? The short answer is Yes. The long answer is what everyone else said- wait until you are at goal and maintaining and do it rarely.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cappy11448
on 9/29/17 6:36 pm
I'm 4 years post op, and I often have a glass of wine in the evening. It is empty calories, but I enjoy it, and so I make it work while maintaining my weight loss. I didn't have wine until I was near my goal weight, and I think all the advice to avoid the empty calories and watch for transfer addiction is good advice. But certainly, an occasional glass of wine is possible. best wishes, Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Amy R.
on 9/30/17 12:32 am

First of all, congratulations on scheduling surgery to have that Lap Band removed. I'm glad they are able to do the VSG at the same time.

Everyone has given great advice. Honestly I think the biggest thing is just to be mindful. Of the risks for transfer addiction, the added stress on your liver while you are in the rapid weight loss phase, and the impact the extra calories will have on your weight/eating plan.

I would just add to maybe run it by your surgeon as well and see if they have any input. In a perfect world there would definitely be a one-size-fits-all answer to the alcohol question. In reality this is one of the most discussed post op questions on these forums.

The bottom line is that all of us are different in so many ways and as adults we are free to factor in risk and measure it against any possible reward. Only you will know what is best for you and it make take some trial and error.

Good luck =)

carolw1229
on 9/30/17 8:01 am
VSG on 10/18/17

Thanks for all your support and excellent advice.

Valerie G.
on 10/2/17 9:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Transfer addictions aside...

When losing weight at a rapid weight, this puts an enormous strain on your liver. To add alcohol during this strain, could put your liver of the edge of strain and into permanent damage.

For this reason, it's recommended that you eliminate all alcohol when you're going through the first year when you lose weight rapidly. Once it tapers off, it's okay to imbibe again, but be mindful that you may be a much cheaper date than you once were.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics