Success with moderate carbs?

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/24/17 5:49 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Like the other posters, I don't generally count carbs (though I log everything in MFP so I can see what they are). I focus on getting my protein in (I can eat about 4 oz now), and eat my veggies, etc. with any room "left over" . I end up pretty low-carb most days because there isn't a lot of room for them after the protein.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Jess Says Yes
on 9/24/17 9:30 am
VSG on 10/24/17

That makes sense, I guess that's one of the main ways the sleeve assists us. Thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/17 7:51 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I think the answer is just that low carb for life is not always easy, but it is necessary. If we could moderate our carb intake, we likely wouldn't have become MO.

Donna L.
on 9/24/17 8:56 am, edited 9/24/17 1:56 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

An old programmer saying also applies to weight loss. It's GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

Even the standard bariatric "high carb" diet is no more than 100-130g of carbs a day, max. That's considered medically low carb, too, FWIW, even though by keto/LC/Atkins standards it is not.

I lost over 300 pounds on a ketogenic diet before WLS, and then had WLS. Carbs cause insulin to rise which contributes to fat storage. If you don't use any of your carbs they go straight to the thighs - the glucose is stored as fat, and all carbs whether simple or complex, eventually are broken down into glucose.

None of the surgeries prevent carbohydrate absorption except for the DS, though. The DS prevents it somewhat, but carbohydrate is absorbed through the entire length of the small intestine, so even they are prone to it.

Surgery offers protection to weight loss that is more durable. Even the sleeve does long-term. And yes, the sleeve alters the metabolism too, though not as well as the DS and the RNY by far. The DS and RNY have far more of a benefit to altering the metabolism. Having said that, I've even seen patients with Hess-sized DS procedures gain weight if they keep overeating carbs and junk in huge amounts.

The most successful WLS patients seem to eat moderate to low carb (usually the lower end) and also pick up fitness and health-oriented hobbies.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

theAntiChick
on 9/24/17 9:07 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

LOL. That's the first time I've heard my carb range referred to as "low carb".

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

catwoman7
on 9/25/17 5:04 am
RNY on 06/03/15

IKR? I ate up to 80 g during the weight loss phase, and now up to 150 g in maintenance (my RD wondered why I was doing "low carb"!). 150 g is still considered medically low carb, though - although when I'm on here, it seems astronomical!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

azmichy
on 9/26/17 2:15 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

Wow. I think I'm already eating low carb..too bad all the other stuff is making up for it. :) 1 month to go.

Lap Band 09/17/2003 HW-276 SW-225 LW-167

Revision to VSG 10/24/17 HW-244 SW-217.8 CW-179.6

Pre-op:0~M1:17~M2: 6.6~M3: 7.8~M4: 6.7

Emily2097
on 9/30/17 5:32 pm

Hi I see you had lap band surgery and now you're going to have the sleeve. We have that in common I am hoping to have the sleeve. I was turned down for it in 2014 because my Insurance would only cover ONE surgery even though I had the band put in over SIX years earlier and it was not helping... I have a new insurance now I'm just starting the process I had the band in 8/14/2008. I'm really hoping I don't get turned down again I went through the whole process and then was denied..I don't want to have that to happen again I cried for two months...

Jess Says Yes
on 9/24/17 9:19 am
VSG on 10/24/17

Thank you for your response and for the information! I lost 50 pounds on the ketogenic diet earlier this year, but ended up in the hospital as I could not get my electrolytes balanced for the life of me. Tried every trick in the book, but became very ill. Of course when I started back with the carbs I overdid it and gained it all back.

I've been feeding my kids "clean" for years with an emphasis on healthy fats and varied veggies & fruits. I would like to adopt that with an added focus on protein. Anyways, thank you so much for your input! It makes a lot of sense.

Donna L.
on 9/24/17 10:19 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18
On September 24, 2017 at 4:19 PM Pacific Time, jblizz wrote:

Thank you for your response and for the information! I lost 50 pounds on the ketogenic diet earlier this year, but ended up in the hospital as I could not get my electrolytes balanced for the life of me. Tried every trick in the book, but became very ill. Of course when I started back with the carbs I overdid it and gained it all back.

I've been feeding my kids "clean" for years with an emphasis on healthy fats and varied veggies & fruits. I would like to adopt that with an added focus on protein. Anyways, thank you so much for your input! It makes a lot of sense.

Losing weight is easy compared to keeping it off. That's why keto and low carb diets usually win in the long run.

If you have a thyroid issue, usually higher carb diets (not super high carb) can be better because the thyroid needs insulin to convert hormones convert its hormones correctly. And, we are all different and different diets work (go figure, right?) however it is easier to lose weight and keep it off on lower carb diets. You definitely can still eat higher in carbs and lose weight, however you have to be vigilant and calorie count.

I'm revising to the DS or SADI/SIPS myself because I have been stalling with a sleeve repeatedly, even on a ketogenic diet. However, a DS basically is committing to a ketogenic diet - you have to eat a LOT of fat and protein, and you will become severely ill and die if you do not, due to the strong malabsorption. However the traditional DS has the best results long-term on average.

That is great for the kids:) I think reduced carbs is better than high carb. Even if people can't do a ketogenic diet, eating under 100g/day will still improve many.

Having said that, if you do eat protein first post-op, there really isn't much room for carbs as was mentioned. You get full very quickly. I have a medium-ish sleeve (40F I believe) and I can barely even finish 5oz of just meat. This provides an...interesting contradiction regarding the advice we get from nutritionists.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics