New Guy on the Block. Questions and Confusion.

Bakermama
on 9/21/17 6:34 pm

I will probably have my surgery in mid November. Glad I started therapy to work on all the head stuff.

Shannon S.
on 9/20/17 7:04 pm, edited 9/20/17 12:05 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Hello,

I had the lapband 10 years ago. It was an awful experience. Doc could never get the tightness right. It was either too loose, or too tight. I would chew and chew and chew, and everything would still get hung up to the point I would vomit (that's the restrictive part of the surgery). Finally I became completely obstructed due to a dialated pouch, and had to have emergency surgery about 9 mos after I got it. It's a poor surgery. I strongly suggest not doing it. Very high fail rate.

I haven't had VSG yet, but have done a lot of research. I'm also a nurse, and what I understand is that the first year is tough due to the drastic change in size of stomach. Food will be a challenge to eat. Concentration will be getting enough protein and fluids, so I would say yes in the beginning it will feel quite different at social outings, but I think after the 1st year things start to normalize.

Some doctors say absolutely no alcohol EVER due to the high caloric intake. Some doctors say none for the first year while your are in the weightloss phase. You wouldn't want to spoil your opportunity with empty calories.

Hope this helps a little. Wishing you the very best!

bridget1970
on 9/21/17 11:55 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17

Your Lap Band experience sounds so much like mine was.

Shannon S.
on 9/22/17 6:43 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Absolute nightmare!

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/17 8:33 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

Hi John! I just got my sleeve on Monday and I'm excited to heal and continue on my journey to a more healthful future. Early on I was considering a lap band and for the same reason as you...anything else just seemed so restrictive and so permanent. But then I talked with my surgeon and she said she takes out more lap bands than she puts in because so many people have complications. She also said that lots of people who have had lap bands end up with a VSG because the lap band just didn't do the trick or they had too many complications. Interestingly, one of my nurses in the hospital told me that she'd had a lap band more than 10 years ago and it worked great for her, but only for a short while. She had so many complications, they finally just loosened it up and she gained back a great deal of the weight she lost. That certainly cemented in my mind that choosing the sleeve was the better choice.

I'm glad you're leaning toward the VSG. Once you heal, you the follow up will be much less than with a lap band and you'll be better positioned for long-term success.

Most Active
Recent Topics