Addicted to diets

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/17 10:27 am

I know this is odd. But I finaly realised I am addicted to googling, researching and trying out new diets, moving on ( even when the diet is working) Researching day and night, trying another and so on and so fourth. I get a boost a good feeling when I am researching a new diet and I enjoy the process. The planning out.. I think this is why I am getting to an anxious point because, in all honesty I did the same with the sleeve, researched it day and night.. Got excited, ( yes this takes much more research and much more time!)

But now.. I feel ready to (yes follow my plan) But add more rules based on the rules I already have, add more restrictions that is still on plan but making it harder on my self for no reason at all.

I just wanted to say what I am feeling, which I am sure it does not make sense.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/14/17 10:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

This sounds like obsessive behavior, and it may be going on to an unhealthy degree. Have you brought it up with your surgeon or someone like a therapist?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

diane S.
on 9/14/17 11:55 am

Hmmm, interesting post. I think its good to have as much information as possible about nutrition and healthy eating and such. And its good to fixate on healthier eating habits and get away from the bad ones. But I wonder if it still means you are fixated on food. Life is not all about food. Thats what got a lot of us into trouble. We eventually have to sort of let go of food. But research all you want. I suspect you will get tired of it and move on. GL. Are you pre op or post op? Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

nimiety
on 9/14/17 2:25 pm - Brooklyn, NY

This definitely sounds like eating-disordered behavior to me, even if it doesn't rise to the level of the clinical. Using restriction to manage anxiety is classic ED symptomology, and I recognize the behavior you're talking about from my own ED history. I really recommend that you get with an ED-aware counselor and talk about this, because eating-disordered behavior can really sabotage maintaining a stable behavioral baseline.

Not Being Good: The Examined Life Post-WLS

VSG 7/29/16 // surgery weight 332 // current weight 179 // goal weight 160

SkinnyBonz38
on 9/14/17 3:39 pm

It does not make sense and yet it makes all the sense in the world! I am this same way...but I take it a step further and write out a healthy nourishing plan after I do my extended exhausting research and then post the plan and be very happy with the plan. I think about the wl I will achieve from the plan and the cute little summer dress I will wear with the plan oh and I name it The Plan that will end all plans and then...I do not follow through with the plan for one reason or another.

But I know that feeling of accomplishment from just writing out the plan but then reality hits especially when an hour later after starting the plan I am going off plan. There really is a high to just thinking of the plan just wish my weight wasn't also so high.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/17 11:40 am

Thanks for your replies. I am post op normal eating stage.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/17 11:41 am, edited 9/15/17 4:42 am

SKINNY- omg I did not go further.. I do do the plans in my note books, I go back to old plans like what was i even thinking lol. Exactly how you explained it, you are good with words.

AMEN the feeling of acomplishment and high is so real after writing the plan what is this? yes the weight i wish was not so high too hahah

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/17 11:44 am

Nimetey - this is intresting you say that, i have been eating very healthy, i have done this food planning all night thing over cycle my whole life. I did not think or know this is part of ed behavour because i see in my mind i am doing this to be healthy the plan lol . i will keep this in mind

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/15/17 1:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You may want to consider orthorexia-- an eating disorder where the person obsesses over healthy eating. It may be a better fit for your situation than some other ED labels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/17 8:37 pm

Sparkle. I am obese lol i would not say thats me at all lol .

Most Active
Recent Topics