Vsg

Perlahowl
on 9/11/17 8:15 am

I am new here and I need some encouragement that I can lose my excess weight with VSG and I dont have to do the gastric bypass to acheive my dream.

Bufflehead
on 9/11/17 9:50 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Well, statistically folks have a better chance with bypass and it is an excellent and safe surgery. I would encourage you to pick a surgical option based on medical discussions with your surgeon. But most people can lose significant weight with VSG and it is also an excellent option. I had VSG in 2013 and lost just about 200 lbs to achieve a "normal" BMI after a lifetime of morbid obesity.

For me, it was hard work, especially after the first six months. Staying in the normal range has also been hard and I continue to have to monitor and limit what I eat, in ways that some people might find extreme. I am not a person who can effectively do "moderation" so I am not here to tell you that after surgery you can "eat whatever you want, in moderation!" or anything like that. For me, it is a lifetime commitment and I am never going to be someone who just eats what she wants and doesn't think about it. If you are willing to commit to a lifetime of healthy eating, the VSG can be a great tool to help you lose all of your excess weight. I can say that I would absolutely never have been able to do it without bariatric surgery and I am grateful every day for my VSG.

Perlahowl
on 9/11/17 10:19 am

Thank you so much for ur honest advice and for sharing ur experience. I totally agree that I can never lose weight without a surgery. The point is that right now I cannot tell how committed I will be after the surgery but I wish I can be up to it. I am sure that I want to lose weight and I need it so much for my family and children. I understand that vsg is just the first step and I will have to do the rest. I dont favor the bypass and yet I doubt the effectiveness of vsg. However, in all cases I must take action asap.

diane S.
on 9/11/17 10:53 am

You can lose as much weight as you need to with vsg vs RNY if you DECIDE to do it. You say you are not sure how committed you will be but recognize that it is up to you to decide to be committed. Make up your mind to do it and you can. My surgeon convinced me of this and he was so right. Make your choice and as soon as possible start making small changes in your habits to prove to yourself you can do it. Then go for it. GL. diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Perlahowl
on 9/11/17 11:44 am

Thank you so much Diane for your supportive words

hollykim
on 9/11/17 11:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 11, 2017 at 3:15 PM Pacific Time, Perlahowl wrote:

I am new here and I need some encouragement that I can lose my excess weight with VSG and I dont have to do the gastric bypass to acheive my dream.

it doesn't matter what surgery you have if you aren't ready and prepared to live the post op lifestyle which usually means eating high protein and very low carb.

any of the surgeries can be eaten around and no loss to occur or gain to start/continue.

it all still has to do with what you choose to put in your mouth.

Perlahowl
on 9/11/17 11:38 am

I need the surgery to cut down my food intake. I understand that I will have to put great effort to acheive good results and I wish ill be able to do it

Jester
on 9/11/17 5:02 pm
RNY on 03/21/16 with

The surgery will reduce the capacity of your stomach; however, you will still be able to maintain your current level of food intake. It's very easy to eat thousands and thousands of calories a day once you have healed.

You won't be able to eat pounds of chicken and steak, but that's probably not how you got obese in the first place. Junk food is loaded with calories, will probably go down easily, and won't keep you full for very long.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but without a serious commitment to lifestyle change you will regain any weight lost without question. You can't just eat whatever you want and hope the VSG/RNY will keep you thin by reducing capacity. That's just not how it works.

hannahg22
on 9/11/17 5:31 pm
VSG on 08/15/17

The surgery is not a FIX ALL. It's a tool. If someone gave you a hammer or a wrench, would it fix all your problems? No, it won't. They're tools, specifically designed for YOU to USE them. My PCP and insurance company required a 6 month supervised diet. As well as a meeting with a psychiatrist. Maybe you should do that, and talk to them about how you can't commit. Don't waste your time getting the surgery if you aren't going to use the tool that it gives you.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/12/17 2:38 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Wishing & doing are 2 different things. When you get past the wishing I can do it, wishing I can commit, etc & get to the I will do it, I will commit, you'll be successful. That doesn't mean you won't run into any struggles along the way, but you've got to get in that right head space first.

Research as much as you can, go to bariatric seminars, & use the search option by the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner. There's lots of information on this site & plenty of people willing to help.

Good Luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics