Advice and encouragement for after surgery

Twinmom527
on 9/7/17 12:58 pm

So I am on a expedited process to surgery. I have been doing a weight loss program through the hospital for 4 months and for insurance purposes i need 6 mo. My doctor has ordered a stress test, i have all my psychology appts, and dietitian. She told me she will send me to see the surgeon end of October, beginning of November. I am extremely excited, but at the same time so nervous. I have 2 twin girls at home that will be 18 mo at the time of surgery. I am very worried about taking care of them. I will have help for the first 2 weeks, but im not sure about the 2 weeks after that. so any ideas of recovery would be appreciated.

Apart of me keeps thinking like should i be doing such an extreme surgery to lose the weight? but then i think i havent been able to do it on my own with trying. I know this is a common thought process and people go through it but i just would like some encouragement and advice!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/7/17 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I was completely exhausted for the first several months after surgery, and had to nap pretty much every day after work. Napping's not easy with a kid or two (my son is 22 months), so that could be difficult. Maybe it would be helpful to hire a local student as a "mother's helper" to watch your daughters while you nap once in a while?

Yes, surgery is extreme-- but from a statistical standpoint, it's also our single best chance at reaching a healthy weight and staying there for the long term. You can do this!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Twinmom527
on 9/7/17 2:07 pm

Thank you for your reply! Luckily I dont work but i figured ill be exhausted for a while. I should find someone to come give me a break. Thank you for your advice! How did you handle picking your son up and how long did you wait to do it?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/7/17 2:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I had my son after surgery, so I can't offer much practical advice there. But I do recall that my surgeon had me on lifting restriction; I wasn't allowed to lift more than 10lb until I was 6 weeks out of surgery. I couldn't even lift my cat!

I wonder if it might be helpful to set up floor beds or cots for while you're on lifting restriction, since you won't be able to lift them into their cribs? We have one of these for travel and my son sleeps in it very well, but if your girls tend to wander instead of napping it could make things difficult.

https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Cot-Portable-Royal-Blue/dp/B00 0H1MRJO?th=1

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kalyani
on 10/27/17 12:17 am

Yes surgery can be a a difficult period of life, not only physically but emotionally as well. What I can suggest is you could either leave your kids at a friend's or sister's place for a day or two. Otherwise, you can seek help from a part-time school students who can take care of your kids.

Be strong and when it comes to health, the decision you have taken is in the right direction. Wish you all the best and surely everything will be fine ! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics