Thinking of calling my VSG off tomorrow morning-HELP!

theAntiChick
on 9/7/17 8:09 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Hopefully you're at the hospital now and get to read this after you wake back up...

cold feet before surgery is totally normal. All of the "what-ifs" start piling up, you've had success with the pre-op diet, and you start thinking "this is too radical, I just need to diet better".

Over the last year, I've seen several people on this and other forums who backed out at the last minute and a few months to a year later, were back doing their pre-op circus again because they realized that the reasons they decided to have the surgery hadn't changed... dieting is only really effective short-term for most people. Most people on these boards have lost and gained the same however-many pounds (plus some) many times over. Keeping the weight off is what brings us here.

Yes, the surgery is a radical solution. But it's one with a really good track record for helping those of us who have struggled for so long with weight.

I actually had mild GERD in the past, but because of other things in my medical situation, we took a chance with VSG. My surgeon and I both believed that my past GERD was because of my obesity, and unlikely to worsen after VSG. Our gamble paid off... even with a history of GERD I've had none post-op. I do take a PPI, but it's because of medication I take for my auto immune condition. I have been off that med for several months and have taken a break from the PPI and still have no reflux. So not everyone gets reflux/GERD with VSG. And most who do get it are treatable.

If you did back out, and are reading this, don't stress. You may just not be emotionally/mentally ready yet. The surgery will still be here when you are.

I will tell you this - I'm a year out, and about 108# down. I'm within 20-25# of my goal. My auto-immune is flaring up right now and I'm hurting a lot. But it's more manageable with that weight off than it was this time last year. Every aspect of my life is better with the weight gone... I'm more mobile and more flexible than I've been in decades. I'm slowly getting back to a workout regimen (the auto-immune arthritis poses a challenge), and life is good. My only regret (and you'll hear this from a HUGE percentage of WLS'rs) is that I didn't do this years ago.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Shannon S.
on 9/7/17 5:23 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I certainly understand what you are feeling. I go back and forth out of fear. I feel at this point the benefits outweigh the risk. Keeping you in my prayers.

RobbieMcKenney
on 9/7/17 5:52 pm

I had my surgery in June, and sat in the waiting room that morning still not sure if i could do this. It turned out to be life changing, as I knew it would, but it has been worth every minute. After just 3 months, I go out to eat with friends, enjoy wine with dinner, and still cook and bake for my family. The best part? Trying on clothes and realizing they are now too big. I alter those that I want to keep for a while longer, but at least one large bag full of clothes has been going to the thrift store every week. That includes shoes, since my feet shrunk. I just about cry with happiness when I put on a shirt and have to take it off since it is hanging on me. Yes it is worth it. And you should do it. I never had GERD or heartburn. My energy level has remained steady, and I am happier about myself than I have been in many years. Good luck!

Phoenix17
on 9/9/17 4:43 pm, edited 9/9/17 9:44 am
VSG on 09/07/17

Thank you to everyone for their kind words and encouragement. I went through with my procedure on Thursday and came home to recover today Saturday. I am in a lot of pain, but am walking a lot. I can't drink too much, but am doing my very best to stay hydrated. Have started on apple sauce and broth ever so slowly.

I'll keep you all updated, but thank you again for helping me stay focused and brave.

Here's to new beginnings

illumin8ed
on 9/10/17 3:08 pm
VSG on 06/14/17

Congrats on going through with it. I wasn't nervous about reflux at all because I had never had an issue with it. Ever. Since my surgery, I have had it a couple times, and those are the times I think I might have gone a bit overboard and taken in too much. I recently moved to Phoenix. Not sure if you are here or not, but if you want to meet up and discuss life's struggles some time, we can do that.

I had crazy amounts of pain the days following surgery, but it went away. From surgery in mid June to today, I am down 60 ish pounds. Not the huge numbers I see some places, but my cir****tances are varied from many other people's. I am pleased with the results so far.

It does get easier.

Phoenix17
on 9/14/17 6:01 pm
VSG on 09/07/17
On September 10, 2017 at 10:08 PM Pacific Time, illumin8ed wrote:

Congrats on going through with it. I wasn't nervous about reflux at all because I had never had an issue with it. Ever. Since my surgery, I have had it a couple times, and those are the times I think I might have gone a bit overboard and taken in too much. I recently moved to Phoenix. Not sure if you are here or not, but if you want to meet up and discuss life's struggles some time, we can do that.

I had crazy amounts of pain the days following surgery, but it went away. From surgery in mid June to today, I am down 60 ish pounds. Not the huge numbers I see some places, but my cir****tances are varied from many other people's. I am pleased with the results so far.

It does get easier.

Thanks so much for this. I'm having pain mostly in my left hand side where the stomach was taken through. Apparently I have stitches in my muscle now. Very painful!

I'm not in Phoenix, but I did like the image of the phoenix rising from the ashes hence the username. But if I was in Arizona, that is one offer I'd take you up on.

Thank you again!

Most Active
Recent Topics