Thinking of calling my VSG off tomorrow morning-HELP!

Phoenix17
on 9/6/17 6:08 pm
VSG on 09/07/17

Okay so I've waited so long for this moment and have been on the verge of tears today over my surgery tomorrow. There are too many emotions running, but mostly I am angry at myself for letting this happen to me and reaching such an extreme decision. I am also wanting to cry because of reading negative stories of people who experience heartburn and GERD post-op. I don't want to rely on Omeprazole for the rest of my life!

I've been on a liquid diet for the past two weeks and have shed 15 pounds on this. I wonder if it's even worth it to go through with the surgery if I have been good and on task with not eating?? Maybe my tears are from not eating? Maybe I am just being irrational due to being in ketosis? I feel like a total mess.

I really feel like calling it all off and need support from anyone who is able to understand what it feels like right now.

Thank you.

B. Capri
on 9/6/17 6:12 pm

Would you rather have acid reflux or be obese? 98% of obese people lose and gain in a viscous cycle. PROCEED with surgery...I promise you won't regret it

Phoenix17
on 9/6/17 6:14 pm
VSG on 09/07/17

Thank you!! I've just read real horror stories from people months and years after surgery not being able to lay down or sleep because of GERD. Sounds like torture to me. However, obesity is a different torture, too.

B. Capri
on 9/6/17 6:19 pm

I have acid reflux and take medication daily but I wouldn't change having surgery for the world! GO FOR IT :)

dmcs85
on 9/6/17 6:44 pm

Going through with the VSG will be the best decision you have made in your life. I am a week out and don't regret one bit. I also had the same feelings you did the night of my surgery and I worked through them and went on with it and couldn't be happier. Everyday is a healthier me and it's an overwhelming feeling of excitement. I will no longer be trapped in this body. I will be able to have the life I long for without the addiction and depression associated with my relationship to food. I highly recommend a therapist. It has done wonders for me and many others through this surgery and awesome new journey. Prayers

Phoenix17
on 9/6/17 8:04 pm
VSG on 09/07/17
On September 7, 2017 at 1:44 AM Pacific Time, dmcs85 wrote:

Going through with the VSG will be the best decision you have made in your life. I am a week out and don't regret one bit. I also had the same feelings you did the night of my surgery and I worked through them and went on with it and couldn't be happier. Everyday is a healthier me and it's an overwhelming feeling of excitement. I will no longer be trapped in this body. I will be able to have the life I long for without the addiction and depression associated with my relationship to food. I highly recommend a therapist. It has done wonders for me and many others through this surgery and awesome new journey. Prayers

Thank you for your response and support during my difficult pre-op jitters. Most of all, thank you for your prayers. I know Jesus is with me always. Thank you

hannahg22
on 9/6/17 6:59 pm
VSG on 08/15/17

I was this way the morning of surgery, like in pre op, while they were attempting to hook me up to machines. I was crying, and repeating over and over to my mom "I don't want to do this, I want to go home". My prep nurse had the surgery as well, and she had really talked me off the ledge and had made me comfortable with my choices.

at two weeks post op I was feeling regret; because eating is a social thing, I was missing out on that with my boyfriend, our friends, and our families. I was an odd ball, I couldn't go to the bar or out to dinner because I was on liquids, then protein.

It sucked. But today, 3 weeks post op, I don't regret it. I have lost over 13% of my expected weight so far, my energy level at work is incredibly high, I'm happier, I'm getting more comfortable in my own skin. It gets better. I lived with constant heartburn from a type 3 hiatial hernia, during surgery my surgeon fixed that. I no longer have heartburn or acid reflux issues.

Phoenix17
on 9/6/17 8:05 pm
VSG on 09/07/17
On September 7, 2017 at 1:59 AM Pacific Time, hannahg22 wrote:

I was this way the morning of surgery, like in pre op, while they were attempting to hook me up to machines. I was crying, and repeating over and over to my mom "I don't want to do this, I want to go home". My prep nurse had the surgery as well, and she had really talked me off the ledge and had made me comfortable with my choices.

at two weeks post op I was feeling regret; because eating is a social thing, I was missing out on that with my boyfriend, our friends, and our families. I was an odd ball, I couldn't go to the bar or out to dinner because I was on liquids, then protein.

It sucked. But today, 3 weeks post op, I don't regret it. I have lost over 13% of my expected weight so far, my energy level at work is incredibly high, I'm happier, I'm getting more comfortable in my own skin. It gets better. I lived with constant heartburn from a type 3 hiatial hernia, during surgery my surgeon fixed that. I no longer have heartburn or acid reflux issues.

Wow that is absolutely wonderful!!! I am so happy to hear that VSG has been a positive experience for you and no acid reflux!

Thank you for your support and kind words.

Mirandia
on 9/7/17 4:47 am
VSG on 03/14/17
  1. not everyone has problems with acid after surgery
  2. acid can be controlled in other ways than drugs.
  3. of those that do have a problem, the majority do not have an EXTREME problem
  4. obesity itself can cause acid problems ... along with all the other stuff that we all know about.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

CC C.
on 9/7/17 6:28 am

I have GERD now, but it's totally controlled by OTC Prevacid. Other than having to take it, I have no other signs of having GERD. I would totally have the surgery again even knowing what I know now.

Most Active
Recent Topics