"Dense protein makes you fuller"? Is this the case for all?

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/17 8:18 am

I ask as I decided to eat corn for my breakfast today, sounds odd, and yes I know not protein first, but I have been doing protein first and having no space for veg but I have been craving veg like no mans business.

So ,.. I measured out 4 ounces of corn at 7am . I only managed 1 ounce. I then next ate about 2pm as usual. But I was actually full. I am full of 3 ounces of dense protein, so what happened here?

Surely vegan and veggie sleevers feel restriction what do they eat protein wise to feel restriction? Lentils and beans? What else?

I am sick of meat if I am honest.

Sara R.
on 9/3/17 9:30 am
VSG on 06/27/17

I think that everyone is just different. I've been a vegetarian for 27 years. I was sleeved on 6/27/17. I am 11 weeks and there is absolutely no way I could eat even one bit of corn. I know that corn is a vegetable but since it has so much starch, I would consider it as a carb. I can't eat any carbs. I had one nibble of cubed hash brown potatoes yesterday and instantly felt full and bloated. It was only a piece of potato 1/2 the size of a dime but it just didnt settle right.

Right now, I can do 3-4 oz of cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I am comfortable eating 2-3 oz of tofu or beans. There have been some soy replacement foods (like fake meat balls) where I could only eat 1/2 of the serving size (3 meatballs) but now as the weeks have gone on, I can manage to eat all three. I can do 1 oz of seeds and nuts very comfortably and those keep me full. In fact, I am pretty sure that all the protein I eat keeps me full between meals.

Different proteins settle differently in my sleeve. I pretty much only eat proteins (and a little veggies at dinner) so that I can reach my 80 grams of protein a day. I know that it is possible to be meatless and have success.

Bufflehead
on 9/5/17 12:58 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

As far as I am concerned corn is not a vegetable, it is a grain. Just because it is stocked with the "produce" in the grocery store doesn't make it a vegetable. It's grain. You grind it up and it becomes cornmeal, and no one would argue that is a vegetable, right?

Grim_Traveller
on 9/5/17 4:31 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Shhhhh. I tell my nut that popcorn is a vegetable.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/17 9:30 am, edited 9/3/17 2:31 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I think you are finding what works for you. Many of us are highly sensitive to carbs, me included, and could never lose weight and keep it off eating corn for breakfast. If you can, and you find if satisfying, then go ahead. Just make sure you get a minimum of 60-80g of protein per day while sticking with your calorie restrictions to reduce muscle wasting during your weight loss.

diane S.
on 9/3/17 10:40 am

There are other things besides dense protein that can make you feel very full. I think an apple (or part of one) is one of those things. Some cruciferous veggies do the same. Corn may do the same though I would limit it as its too carby. But nothing terrible will happen from one meal of it. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Erin T.
on 9/3/17 1:21 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

Really it's not about being full, it's about getting in your protein. Corn has no protein, and that's really the problem. It's a lot of insoluble fiber so yeah probably that early out it did make you feel full. I just barely got brave enough to try it at 7 months.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Cathy H.
on 9/3/17 1:46 pm, edited 9/3/17 6:46 am
VSG on 10/31/16

It isn't about "fuller," it's about how long that meal stays with you and how long you remain satiated by it. Protein takes longer to process through your system; therefore it stays with you longer and keeps you satisfied longer. Veggies and other things will fill you up as well...but you won't be as satisfied for as long, as they process much more quickly. You might just find that you have to eat more often with less dense protein.

EDITED TO ADD: I have been ketogenic for 4.5 months, and I eat less than 20 net carbs per day. I find the meals where I eat only dense protein keep me satisfied sooo much longer. I eat 3 meals a day and do not snack at all. When I eat more veggies in a day, I find I have to have my meals closer together.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

joamuse
on 9/5/17 5:33 am

I have not had surgery yet (surgeon appt Friday!), but I did KETO for 1 year.

I have been trying to have protein shakes for breakfast each day on my drive in to work. It takes an hour so i can pace myself and I am trying to find flavors I can tolerate all as practice for the inevitable.

What I CAN tell you is that if I ate an egg for breakfast or Starbucks Sous Vide Egg bite it would carry me through until at least 2pm before feeling actual hunger. The protein shake has me growling in my stomach and looking at the clock starting around 11:00.

I take you question to mean dense protein (actual egg) vs not dense (protein shake). If this is the case then I would say yes, dense protein, at least for me - pre sleeve - makes me feel fuller and for longer.

Most Active
Recent Topics