Mobility ?

Shannon S.
on 9/2/17 7:39 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

How has your mobility improved since surgery? I'm in pretty bad shape. I'm 356lbs now, very stiff, and very achy by the end of day. It's like I'm completely falling apart. I'm looking forward to feeling better for sure!

Cathy H.
on 9/3/17 12:12 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I'm 5'3", 57 years old, I used to be 360 lbs, Shannon. Degenerative arthritis in both knees, bad lower back, shoulder and hip pain all from being SMO for 30+ years. I walked with a cane sometimes because my knees hurt so badly.

Haven't used the cane in months, I can walk an hour at the store without pain (as long as I get my cortisone shot every 3 months or so lol), no more back pain, only small amounts of pain in one hip. I can walk and carry on a conversation at the same time without getting winded or having to stop talking.

I live in an apartment where the bedroom and bath are upstairs. I went from using both handrails and taking the steps one at a time in both directions (and getting out of breath halfway up), to now I can go up with my hands full and no handrails, and with a little pep in my step!

A month ago, I did a zipline! Who'd have thought! lol

You'll never regret having this surgery. As so many have said, I only wish I'd done it 15 years ago!!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Shannon S.
on 9/3/17 6:18 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Wow, you're an inspiration. So happy for you! Can't wait to be where you are. I need encouragement to have this surgery. I'm scared. I want to back out sometimes, but stories like yours, and other success stories keep me going. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Gwen M.
on 9/3/17 4:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I used to live in pain due to my weight. And now? My only pain tends to be the pain I earn from exercise. This is such a huge difference for me. I love feeling sore and achy from exercise - knowing that I've done something awesome to earn that is 180 degrees away from "I'm in pain just because I exist."

Lack of pain due to existence has improved my mobility immensely.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Shannon S.
on 9/3/17 6:14 am, edited 9/2/17 11:18 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I can't wait. I cleaned my son's room yesterday. Organized his closets, and dresser drawers, and toy boxes. I felt like I got hit by a mack truck afterwards. But on a daily basis I'm done by the end of the day. I can't wait to be where you are. Thanks for sharing

reree6898
on 9/3/17 5:23 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I am 38 and at my heaviest I was 376lbs. Back then I hurt all the time, when I would get up I hobbled around and had to hold my back when I walked for the first several steps. My knees ached and I had planter fasieotits starting up in my feet. Also my knees would grind and pop all the time and there was even a time when I had gotten on the floor for something and I wasn't sure how I was going to get up because my knees didn't have the strength to get me off the floor. At surgery I was 319 and still dealing with the same issues.

Now my whole life is better. I don't hurt all the time anymore, I just hop up and go do what I need to do with no pain. The issue with my feet is gone, my back dosnt hurt, and my knees don't pop. I can get in the floor for whatever I need to do and jump right back up. I do occasionally have pain in my left knee if I do the incline too high on the treadmill for too long but that's due to the past damage I did by being so heavy for so long. Most of the time I feel like a teenager again being able to do so much. I even took my kids roller skating a few weeks ago!

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Shannon S.
on 9/3/17 6:10 am
VSG on 11/07/17

This gives me so much hope. I do the same thing (hold my back) like a little old woman when I wake up. I also have plantar fasciitis, and we're the same age! Thanks for sharing.

shelbiekay
on 9/3/17 6:42 am
VSG on 08/22/17

Shannon, Don't give up!

I wanted to back out too, but I kept reminding myself daily about the reasons that I wanted and needed to do this.

Keep your goal in sight, and know that a healthier life is just ahead!!!

Shannon S.
on 9/3/17 9:19 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Thank you! I'm moving forward. I'm a nurse and I see the worst of the worst, so surgery gives me a bit of anxiety. Trying to keep thing in perspective.

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/17 8:33 am

Every situation is different , so for me no, thats because I have a disability and my surgeon told me my back would get worse having less cushion onboard, but may improve, he was right , I am in more pain at the moment. But I bet when I am smaller it will be easier for me to move the non coperative parts around lol

Most Active
Recent Topics