Hair loss has started at 9 weeks!

ShirlAus
on 9/1/17 3:40 am
VSG on 06/26/17

I thought I mentally prepared but just out of the shower & I dont think I am!

wash my hair 1-2 times a week n tonight it came out in handfuls. I called hubby in n he was shocked.

I guess its time to start looking at shorter hairstyles sooner than I thought. Still no regrets but little rattled. Ive always had very thick hair- shoulder length-time for a change with a shrinking chubby face.

Veterans- how long did it take your hair to grow back? N how many never went back to what it was pre surgery?

Feeling very vain but I knew this was coming - just not as quick

Shirley

missc_26
on 9/1/17 4:44 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi ya

It is a total shock when you realise the actual clumps of hair that come out (even if you think you are prepared for it). I'm only 11 months out but mine is slowly starting to reduce in shedding.

The best thing I did was decide to go all out and cut my hair nice and short. Finally having cheekbones to show off has really built my confidence and it marked a "new chapter" so to speak. I would recommend getting started on a good hair/skin/nails supplement asap too.

In my experience it is only temporary in the first year and an opportunity to do something different with your look. I'm glad you are keen to embrace this - have fun!

All the best

ShirlAus
on 9/1/17 2:25 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Thanks :) Yeah I thought I had prepared but it becomes very real when you are cleaning clumps out of the drain huh

Erin T.
on 9/1/17 4:46 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I started losing mine around 3 months out and it's still going at 7 months, but it's somewhat slower now. I wash my hair every other day now instead of every day. I have very thick hair and although it drives me nuts because it's on everything, you can't notice a difference in the fullness of my hair. I'm hoping it will end soon.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

ShirlAus
on 9/1/17 2:27 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Thanks Erin. Im hoping mine goes the same way.

Hope yours slows down soon

CC C.
on 9/1/17 5:50 am

Mine started somewhere around 3 months (right before, I think). Next Wednesday is 7 months and while I'm still losing a little more than would be average for me normally, I have little 1/2" sprouts coming in. So while it seems at the beginning like you will surely end up bald by the end of this, for me it was surprisingly even in its distribution so I haven't ever looked like I'm losing my hair. But the "holy crap!" factor when you wash and style your hair is highly disturbing!

ShirlAus
on 9/1/17 2:28 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

I hear you Cecily- definately a holy crap moment last night

Glad yours appears to be slowing down a bit

Valerie G.
on 9/2/17 8:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Long hair makes the shedding even more dramatic. Having thick hair will definitely be in your favor. You will probably be the only one who notices the loss outside of the shower, but a makeover with some shorter hair and layers to blend in the new growth (so you don't look like a chia pet). Throw in some highlights for a complete mood boost.

I've seen some who's new hair came back with much better texture and sometimes more waves, thanks to their new attention to nutrition like they never have before.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ShirlAus
on 9/3/17 1:46 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Thanks Valerie :)

I laughed out loud with the mental image of looking like a chia pet

Will be interesting to see what mine ends up like

cmp067
on 9/2/17 12:28 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

Get a cute haircut, eat your vitamins (biotin!), get your protein in, and try not to stress too much because that won't help. :) Your hair will come back.

Original VSG 3/23/2012 - Revision/Resleeve 1/6/2017

Most Active
Recent Topics