Hiatel Hernia and lipoma removal

Jaylee1215
on 8/30/17 12:16 pm

Hi all I am new to the Losers bench as of yesterday. 8.29.17. During my Surgery my surgeon found a large hiatel hernia and a lipoma (fat deposit) above my stomach. Has anyone had one of these repaired when they had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy performed? How did you feel post op.. How did your fluids and other clear liquids go down.any tips or guidance is gladly appreciated!

Agran
on 8/30/17 4:42 pm

I had a hiatus hernia repaired at the same time and found it a *****allenging after to swallow. In hindsight, I am 6 weeks out, it was good for me. Helped me to eat slower, kept me on puréed food a little bit longer but that was okay.

On the positive side I no longer snore - my hubby is happy.

Just take your time setting and drinking. It did improve in week 4, don't ru****

Congrats on your surgery and welcome to the forum

Jaylee1215
on 8/31/17 2:43 am

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. How many weeks did you take off of work. My Surgeon says 4. I originally planned for 2 before the surgery but now I need longer. I take care of kids so I'm lifting them constantly all day.

Agran
on 8/31/17 11:57 am

I ended up taking 3 off. I ended up with extremely low blood pressure and was incredibly weak. Still tired but getting better. Always take a few more days than you think, your body will thank you later.

hannahg22
on 8/30/17 5:02 pm
VSG on 08/15/17

I also had a hiatial hernia repaired when I had my VSG. I'm 3 weeks post op today and I feel fine! I'm on "soft foods" as of today. At first it felt weird when I was swallowing something, especially when I was sipping liquid. The hot and cold, I could really feel it go down. BUT, I no longer have constant acid reflux which is a huuuuge deal for me.

Jaylee1215
on 8/31/17 2:47 am

Thanks hannahg22 for your reply. I'm just worried about work I think. I originally took off 2 weeks but because of the hernia and me having to lift children weighing over 20 pounds..I have to take off 4 week. ?. I'm only Day 2 post op and have trouble getting water down. It feels like it gets a tuck some times....even with small sips. I also feel a weird sensation in my stomach afterwards..like a lot of grumbling and moving around. I dnt know girl.

Agran
on 8/31/17 11:58 am

That sounds like my experience. It will get better. Don't worry.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/31/17 3:48 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the time of my VSG and my recovery was completely smooth (no pain pills after home from the hospital at 2 days, no nausea, no problem following my surgeons diet advancement protocol).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/17 8:03 am

I had my "decent sized" hernia repaired at the same time. I spent 3 days in hospital due to pain, O2, high blood pressure and high heart rate.

I did not make a plan for how much time I would be off. I said I will see how it goes. I had alot of pain right up until 1 wk post op. Just today day 9, feeling pretty good. My surgeon said no lifting for 6wks. I figure I will go back end of September and give myself the time I need to heal.

Lots of gas from both ends. Burps, rumbles, grumbles, strange throat noises and many trips to the bathroom!!

I don't have a hard time with liquid but I do feel it going down. I just stick to schedule. 30ml every 15 mins.

All the best!

shelbiekay
on 9/3/17 3:47 pm
VSG on 08/22/17

Hi Jaylee,

I too had hiatal hernia repair during my sleeve on 8-22. Mine felt like a rock in my chest for a week or so but it much better now. I had trouble getting fluids in too. I found that room temp liquids did best for me. I also used an ice pack and laid it on my breast bone to help with the swelling. I also sleep slightly inclined and find that that takes some of the pressure off so I can rest more comfortably. I took 3 weeks off work. (and my stomach still gurgles and cramps) hope these help!

Most Active
Recent Topics