Nsaids- how soon?

theAntiChick
on 9/1/17 8:23 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Transdermal patches don't help much, as the medication still gets into the bloodstream (as intended) and it's not having the pills in the stomach that causes ulcers, it's the effect the medication has on prostaglandins in the blood.

Some gels do not absorb much systemically, like the Voltaren I use for arthritis in my hands. A tiny bit still gets into the bloodstream so it's not completely without risk, but the amounts are miniscule compared to taking it orally.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Grim_Traveller
on 9/1/17 4:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

As Rocky said above, NSAIDs in patch, topical, cream, or whatever are just as dangerous as a pill. They are systemic, and eliminate your body's protection against stomach acid, leading to ulcers.

Do NOT believe the crap that patches and creams are any better for you than pills.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

theAntiChick
on 9/1/17 8:25 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Some topicals don't get very much into the bloodstream. It depends on the carrier, and if the goal is to get the drug to the bloodstream or not. Every single doctor I've spoken with about the Voltaren gel says that only a very tiny amount gets into the bloodstream with it, and there's no problem with it for me.

That being said, a doctor prescribing it needs to know you've had WLS, and your surgeon needs to approve it. The general rule is NO NSAIDs and any deviation from that needs to be cleared with your entire medical team.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

missc_26
on 9/1/17 5:01 am
VSG on 10/03/16

I also have a multitude of medications that i require to manage a chronic pain condition including NSAID's. My surgeon actually reviewed all and said I would be able to take them. NOPE.

The only NSAID that I could tolerate in the first 6 months was an occasional Celebrex which was a blessing in desperate times. I cannot tolerate Brufen, Naproxen and really feel it when I take Norflex for back spasms (my stomach feels raw for a few days). I do however take the Norflex as sometimes you just need the relief.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to cope without them. The good news is that the surgery forces you to reevaluate the quality of food and quantity you are eating. This in itself helped me identify things that would cause worse inflammation and make wiser choices to reduce it. Obviously not an easy substitute but I did appreciate learning more about my body thru the process.

This is just my experience. I agree with everyone here that says to work directly with your Dr's to ensure you are getting the right information specific to you. Good luck on your journey.

RobbieMcKenney
on 9/1/17 7:44 am

I was sleeved in June 2017 and had to have an endoscopy in August for another reason. At that point I was allowed to add Mobic every day as long as I took it with food and took a daily PPI. I have osteoarthritis in my hands, neck, and spine, and weight loss has not helped with that. It did help with knee and hip pain from arthritis. During the time I could not take Mobic I used Ultram with no problems, with my surgeon's blessing. You do need to work closely with your doctor on this.

Most Active
Recent Topics