I've got a major problem!!!!HELP

NateH
on 8/30/17 8:11 am
VSG on 09/26/14

Order plant-based protein for shakes to supplement. Is there fish or nuts?

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Mirandia
on 8/30/17 8:49 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Other things you can get in the mail to go along with the protein shakes ... dried meats, canned meat, cured meats (sausages), powdered eggs.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

sanjali23
on 8/31/17 4:19 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Good idea on the dried meats. So far I hard my mother send me cured fish and I got some canned meats...not great but better than the rice diet they seem to embrace here. I've eaten my weight in eggs already :-(

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

Cathy H.
on 8/30/17 10:38 am
VSG on 10/31/16

And don't forget fish! Is seafood something you can get?

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

sanjali23
on 10/4/17 9:45 pm - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Nepal is a landlocked country so I really don't trust the seafood. Plus after seeing a few of the rivers that the river fish come from, I'm gonna have to pass. I've subscribed to the idea that if I can be successful here than I can be successful for life. That was the plan from the start anyway. I just thank you all on this site for all the support.

— Dave Gardner

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/17 11:39 am

I am now very curious to where this is.. and yes get someone to possible get you a care package of packages of tuna, salmon .. jerky even. Shakes... bone broths come in powders.. good luck girl.

sanjali23
on 8/31/17 4:20 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

I'm in Kathmandu, Nepal so they eat rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner without hesitation with veggies and beans in curry sauce. Very little meat if any at all, which is why when the meats are in the store they could sit there forever and they're just not trustworthy. I'm living proof from the numerous amounts of stomach bugs I've had so far

— Dave Gardner

dh101
on 9/3/17 9:54 am
VSG on 06/29/17

My belief is that very few people in Nepal are over weight. And while most are vegetarian and eat rice with every meal, their portion sizes are tiny in comparison to US.

Personally, I would avoid any food the locals aren't eating. So in India I would not at beef, no matter how much I might like a steak. In the Mideast, I would avoid pork! Yes you might find it at a grocery store, but what was the condition of the animal before slaughtering? How was it handled after? And why risk it? There are lots of foods eaten around the world that sustain people for centuries. And so far science hasn't found that humans dietary base needs vary that greatly. We all need protein first, then fats, then fibrous plants, and finally complex carbs.

All that being said, trying to eating local vegetarian curries won't be harmful. Ask for yours without the rice. Or just eat the curry and leave the rice. The curries will have lots of beans or lentils as the base which will provide that protein you need. Do not feel a need to finish your portion. They may serve you more believing they are being generous to you. While in general, the oriental cultures believe in the clean plate mentality, they will learn that not all westerners eat double portions. So you will have a chance to safely expand your palette, and demonstrate that you are embracing their culture.

Having the canned protein and protein shakes as a back up is also a good idea, but don't forget that one of the reason to travel is to learn how others live.

Best of luck and try to enjoy the adventure!

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

sanjali23
on 10/4/17 9:38 pm - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Thanks for the feedback.

— Dave Gardner

Valerie G.
on 9/2/17 8:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Perhaps you can get someone to send you some pouches or cans of tuna and chicken? What about cheeses and tofu? You can turn heavy cream into ricotta with lemon juice for a good protein kick. It will be more expensive, but you can easily mail freeze dried meat. It weighs practically nothing.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics