week 3- cant eat soft foods

Nsorrentino1
on 8/28/17 3:33 pm

I had my surgery August 7th. As of today, I am fine with pureed foods at 3oz each sitting but anytime I try soft foods, I vomit. Is this normal? I also have a lot of heartburn. My motivation is that I have already lost 19 pounds!

Gwen M.
on 8/28/17 3:59 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It is not abnormal - not all diet progressions work perfectly for everyone and this might just be your body's way of saying, "Hey, I'd like to stay on pureed foods for a bit longer." So I'd suggest doing purees for another week and then trying a little soft food again. And talk to your surgeon.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/28/17 7:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

3oz is a lot of food to be eating in one sitting. How much soft food are you trying to eat? How big are your bites? (Should be the size of a grain of rice.) How quickly are you eating?

If in doubt, slow down your progression.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

califsleevin
on 8/28/17 8:36 pm - CA

We didn't have any discrete divisions between "full" liquids, purees, and soft foods but just progressed through them as our tolerances allowed - as with doctor's programs, some patients can progress more rapidly than others. The general rule that we used was to try new foods (whether they be a new composition (mushy vs. soft, etc. or not,) one at a time and in small quantities to test for tolerance. If it worked - great - if not, go back a step to familiar things and try it again in a couple weeks.

Likewise, as foods get firmer, we generally can't eat as much of them at a time, so watch portion sizes and maybe cut things back a bit from what you were doing with mushier foods.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Donna L.
on 8/29/17 7:22 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was actually on liquids for almost 4 weeks post op. I just couldn't tolerate anything else. I was fine with no problems; just have a fussy sleeve.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sheepie
on 8/30/17 6:58 am
VSG on 05/31/17

It takes time, and everyone is different. Soft foods were tough for me until almost 2 months out. It does get better though, and today at 3 months out I can tolerate anything. Listen to your body, it is pretty smart!

HW: 340 SW: 310 CW: 196.6 GW: 170

Valerie G.
on 9/2/17 8:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Did they advise or prescribe a PPI for you for that heartburn. Some develop reflux after VSG

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics