Black Cloud is above me now :(

AD_Jordan
on 8/29/17 2:11 pm

I know you can't ask others to change their eating habits because you've had surgery, however it would be great if there were also some things you guys can do together that don't involve food.

A movie might be easier than going out to a restaurant. You can sip a protein shake if you feel like you'd like a snack. Even going out for a walk and window shopping allows you to be social, without eating.

In our support group, we talked about how difficult it is to be the 'odd person' who isn't eating (or isn't eating as much as the others) in the group. Especially at social functions.

Several people mentioned that there comes a point where feeling good from the weight loss and improved health was totally worth the mild social discomfort at the beginning. One woman talked about how it gave her the incentive to advocate for herself.

I happen to be a knitter, so unless it would be totally inappropriate in the setting, I usually pull out my knitting when I need to occupy my hands. It also helps to keep me from eating 'just one more bite', when I know I'm full.

Maybe if you ask boyfriend to suggest some things that he'd like to do with you that don't involve food while you're recovering, he may come up with some great ideas? If you tell him about how you're feeling, he might be better able to support your goals.

It really does get better. Good luck!

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

dh101
on 9/3/17 10:23 am
VSG on 06/29/17

My husband and I enjoy going out to eat. It is a treat for us, not a way of life. DH was really worried that we would not be able to go out again once I started my pre surgery diet. And he ment EVER again.

My solution was to take protein shakes with me during the pre op two week protein shake only phase.

Post surgery was a little harder, because my system became revolted by anything sweet, which ruled out most of the protein shakes. The hardest time was full liquids as restaurant creamed soups have lots of big chunks. But full liquids are only 1 month while your new stomach heals. Then you expand to soft protein or as I think of it, fins and feathers. Pizza shops often have tuna subs... just ask for a 1/2 sub without the roll. Don't feel you have to eat all of that.

Now I chose to approach dinning out as a mental challenge now. What on the menu fits in my allowed foods? What will I enjoy, and not have tooo much?

You need to feed you. Going out is about being with friends. Only you can control and manage both.

You can do it!

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

Most Active
Recent Topics