eosinophilic esophagitis & vsg?

xoxsarahxo2
on 8/26/17 12:46 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

If you don't mind me asking, what is your son allergic to that triggered it? I've also read that this can be caused by allergens in the air, like pollen. I have no clue what could be triggering mine. Also, if he only took the meds for a month, does that mean it more or less got rid of the EOE?

I really appreciate your help!!!

bridget1970
on 8/26/17 4:06 pm - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17

My son was diagnosed in January 2017 when he had his first endoscopy with biopsies done. The doctor put him on the Flovent and Omeprazole which was taken twice daily. In March 2017, he had another endoscopy and another set of biopsies taken to see if the medication was effective. The biopsies revealed that the upper and middle section of the esophagus was clear of eosinophils. The doctor told us to then stay on the Flovent twice daily but to discontinue the Omeprazole (PPI). We went for a follow up visit in the doctors office in early May, no endoscopy was done at that time. Since we told her that my son was doing well with the medication, the doctor reduced my son's intake with the Flovent to once daily. We are scheduled to do another endoscopy in early October to see if the eosinophils in the bottom portion of the esophagus are cleared up with the reduced Flovent. So it will take longer than a month of being on medications. When we saw the allergy doctor, he determined that my son was allergic to 4 different foods which we are cutting out from my son's diet. He didn't tell us that any external allergens could contribute to this like air, pollen, etc.

xoxsarahxo2
on 8/26/17 4:49 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

That helps put my mind at ease. I'm glad to hear you have it under control without the further use of a ppi. The doctor who told me about my esophagus said I should go out and start taking Prilosec immediately. I'm only 24 years old & the thought of having to take such a damaging drug my whole life scared the hell out of me. Thank you for your help!!

Most Active
Recent Topics