Why you need to check PTH even if you have a sleeve.

Donna L.
on 8/21/17 1:16 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I am absurdly compliant with vitamins, and I still have high PTH. Being neurotic comes in handy sometimes. It's either: vitamin formulation, thyroid deterioration, celiac malabsorption (unlikely, since ferritin is decent), or one of a few other random small things. Maybe because I am on a high dose of PPI? Unsure. Nutritionist is wednesday, and then the PCP is friday, to review things and proceed.

I may wind up on patches, but we'll see. Might use something for skin permeability before using them. Waiting to see what The Plan is before running around for options.

I'm actually glad I had this done as a random lark, sort of. Can you imagine how bad it would have been after a DS when it was finally tested? Forget that.

VSG patients don't need PTH and ferritin tests, my rear! That's absurd. We still need regular labs. Get your DEXA scan and your labs done, people!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

peachpie
on 8/21/17 1:02 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

You know what's ironic for me? My WLS 'informed' PCP will always check ferritin, and was fine with checking copper and magnesium levels. She never checks PTH though. My surgeon will check PTH, but not ferritin. I figure between the two of them I'm covered.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Donna L.
on 8/21/17 1:08 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My PCP is informed and hadn't checked either. I basically kept forgetting to ask, to be fair. As a lark, I asked Shamsi (my 100% awesome bariatrician) to check ferritin and PTH for a baseline pre-malnutrition. I'm glad I did.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Rachel B.
on 8/22/17 11:04 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Does anyone have the complete post op laboratory test list? I remember it from before, but I can't find it. Or a link to it?

THX

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/23/17 8:54 am

Calcium by itself will! Not fix the bones. Calcium magnesium (at least 50% of calcium) plus other minerals plus - critical - vitamin K2. Not just K. K2.

Of course d needs to be high enough to help absorbtion of calcium.

Vit D gets the calcium into the system - vit K puts calcium and magnesium into the bones matrix. If there is not enough K2 - the calcium may get deposit anywhere- like in arteries, joints it caused calcium deposits in the body. K2 and magnesium, plus some other trace minerals are critical for bone formation. Thyroid problems can mess up the whole thing.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics