Re: Being light headed

Manda32
on 8/14/17 11:30 pm

I'm five months post op and I'm still dealing with being light headed. The first month or two, I expected it. Especially the first few weeks, although I would feel very light headed and there were times I had to grab something or I might have fallen, and my vision dimmed a bit also at times.

Fast forward to now, the last few months, I'm still having these symptoms, although now my vision goes pitch black for a few seconds. The light headiness isn't as bad, as the first month or two. I don't worry that I will pass out, but it still worries me I am having this and that my vision goes pitch black. One of the first times it happened I got up to go to the washroom from sleeping and I turned on the lights and it was black and I thought the power was out, because the lights were not coming on.

Now I must say, this only happens after I get up from laying down or from a sitting position. It usually doesn't come on until a few steps are taken. It doesn't happen every time I get up, but enough that its annoying me.

I have heard of the term orthostatic hypertension, which sounds like this. From what I've read, dehydration can be a cause.

Has anybody 5 months plus post op dealt with any of this or even later?

I do get my water in take in. Its taken me a while to get to where I need water intake wise, but I really do think I'm getting enough water in.

I do plan to talk to my doctor about this in a couple weeks when I have my next follow up appointment.

If anyone has any insight or advice, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Grim_Traveller
on 8/15/17 1:46 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This is orthostatic hypotension. It's very common. It usually goes away by the end of the first year or so.

You absolutely need to drink more, and get more electrolytes. If you are still on any BP meds, you need to talk to your doc about probably getting off them.

When you get up from lying down, do it in stages. Slowly. This will pass, but your circulatory system needs time to adjust to all your bodily changes.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Bufflehead
on 8/15/17 5:40 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Ditto what Grim said. I will also add, when getting up from standing or lying down, take 30 seconds - 2 minutes and pump your legs in circles like you are riding an imaginary bicycle before you stand up (or sit up if from lying down). You may feel awkward but it will help and it is better than blacking out!

Daelcare
on 8/15/17 6:56 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I still have it almost three years out...doctor says that I'll just have to live with it! I always get my water in (96 ounces daily at least), so it's not dehydration and I get extra electrolytes daily. So...if you come up with any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Manda32
on 8/16/17 10:01 am

Three years that sucks!!

As I said to one of the below posters, I did go on vacation recently, and chucked my good eating habits out the window, and ate a lot of salty food, and I did not once have this issue. Wonder if it could be a sodium issue...first I need to talk to my doctor about it see what he thinks. But its nice to know this is not abnormal at this point, but wish none of us had to deal with it.

I've read in my research some doctors give salt tablets, was that ever suggested for you?

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Daelcare
on 8/17/17 6:59 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

No, but they did tell me that I could have more salt...I never intentionally restricted my sodium intake, but have increased it some just through foods that I eat. They also told me that I needed (?) some caffeine!! I was thrilled...had gone over 20 months without it and now had the "blessing" to have my Diet Cokes back! I did discover that I can't handle bottled or canned versions....must be fountain and only one a day!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 8/15/17 10:03 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Hi,

I still get this too. I was told it is low blood pressure, dehydration and lack of sodium (bring the blood pressure back up). I was so scared one day - I was teaching swimming and did a summer salt and could not find my way to the top and almost passed out. I had a 911 call once - dehydration....just stay hydrated! I drink G2 and keep Nuun tablets with me - the electrolytes one not the energy. I am now afraid to do flip turns and I have been swimming all my life! I hope you feel better soon.

Manda32
on 8/16/17 9:56 am

Thanks for the advice.

I'm sorry you had such scary experiences with this. I hope it gets better for you as well!

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Valerie G.
on 8/16/17 9:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I got this my first couple of years post op. For me it was low sodium causing my naturally low BP to dip even lower. I now salt shamelessly and don't have an issue.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Manda32
on 8/16/17 9:54 am

Funny you say that. I was on vacation for a week or two back, and I didn't make the best food choices I admit, but I had a lot of salty food, and didn't have one issue with light headiness. I've read about sometimes doctors will prescribe salt tablets...I wonder if that would help.

I see my doctor soon. Will see what he has to say. Thanks for the reply.

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Most Active
Recent Topics