Insurance denial?? I'm confused ! I need a peace of mind!

AggieMae
on 8/12/17 6:40 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

If the nut is part of your surgeons practice then your diet was supervised by the surgeons.

Call the insurance company and ask. Don't mention your PCP's "concern".

Valerie G.
on 8/13/17 9:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here's the thing....these docs and their staff "think" they know everything about how to get approved. Every insurance company has different requirements, and sometimes even the employer has some input in that process. To find our for yourself what EXACTLY you need to do, call your insurance company and ask them yourself. Your PCP definitely has no clue, but even the surgeon's office is mistaken. I actually had to argue with mine because they kept insisting that my insurance required a 6 month diet. I already knew this was incorrect, and insisted that they submit my package for approval, and promised if the insurance company asked me to diet, I would happily comply. The next thing we heard from insurance was that I was approved.

So, for your piece of mind, set this angst aside today and call your insurance company first thing tomorrow and you'll know that you know that you KNOW.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AnonymousGirl
on 8/13/17 9:07 am

Hey guys , update . I called my insurance company and all they told me that was required is approval from my PCP .. That was it . I told the insurance provider representative if he can get detail on the requirments and his reply was "That's all I see here . Just a letter of approval from your PCP ". WHAT. Was that all I needed ?! I'm even more confused than I was before .

Gwen M.
on 8/13/17 9:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Insurance approval and surgeon approval are not necessarily the same thing. For instance, all my insurance required was a psych eval, but my surgeon required that I have an upper endoscopy. I had to meet both sets of requirements for my insurance to approve the surgery and then for my surgeon to actually do the surgery.

This seems to be the case for you? That your surgeon has a list of requirements and then your insurance company has a different list of requirements. You'll need to obey both.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nurseratchet76
on 8/15/17 9:28 pm

Oh gosh I am in the same exact boat as you. I had so many hurdles and hoops and setbacks and the last thing I needed was a negative H pylori test. I had the test and it was negative so I called the surgeon's office to let them know that they can submit the paperwork and lo and behold they tell me guess what the insurance now needs a letter from your PCP saying that they clear you for surgery. I was in the process of switching PCP because mine was retiring so when I went to establish care I made sure to tell the doctor that I was going to have bariatric surgery. Now she's refusing to write a letter until I make another appointment specifically to talk about the bariatric surgery oh jeepers. To add to that I had an abnormal pap smear two years ago followed up with an OBGYN and it was nothing serious but now the surgeon's office is telling me that my PCP will not sign off on me until I have another OB-GYN appointment and I can't get in to see any of them until mid September so when you say you are frustrated I am there with you I literally want to pull my hair out LOL.

Most Active
Recent Topics