Supporting my boyfriend

Mspink702
on 8/11/17 4:16 pm

Hi all. My boyfriend is scheduled for vsg surgery on the 18th of this month. He's currently on his 10 day pre op diet whi*****ludes two protein drinks, water, and if he's really hungry, veggies at night. It's only day 3 and I feel so bad for him. He's really struggling. I am worried he is not eating enough. What if he passes out or something from being so malnourished? Any tips you can give me? I'm trying so hard to support him, but when he's upset and wants to break down I just want to say it's okay! But I know it's not. He needs this surgery.

hollykim
on 8/11/17 7:26 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 11, 2017 at 11:16 PM Pacific Time, Mspink702 wrote:

Hi all. My boyfriend is scheduled for vsg surgery on the 18th of this month. He's currently on his 10 day pre op diet whi*****ludes two protein drinks, water, and if he's really hungry, veggies at night. It's only day 3 and I feel so bad for him. He's really struggling. I am worried he is not eating enough. What if he passes out or something from being so malnourished? Any tips you can give me? I'm trying so hard to support him, but when he's upset and wants to break down I just want to say it's okay! But I know it's not. He needs this surgery.

he won't get malnourished as long as he has fat to burn. His prep diet is very limited. Many of our pre op diets consisted of 5 protein drinks a day and a salad with meat in it once a day.

if it was me,I would ask my surgeon to allow more shakes a day.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/12/17 2:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The struggle is all in his head. It's really, really hard. But he's not in any danger. My 2 week preop diet was all shakes, with no bites of anything.

Make sure he's drinking plenty of water. He'd be fine with zero food for 10 days, really.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Doriam R.
on 8/12/17 6:41 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

What is hard is the addiction to food, is very very hard to go thought the liquid phase diet, but he WILL be fine. I thought I was not going to survive it either... and emotions get stronger and I would cry for anything of be mad at anything... THIS TOO SHALL PASS.... tell him to think about all the life he has been abusing food... and how little this period is. SO SMALL... Think big picture, Best of luck!!!

People that strugle with food addiction have lives that revolve around food, try to find other things that enrich your lives!! YOu have each other!!! that is lucky!!

Mirandia
on 8/12/17 7:53 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Its only 10 days, the average human body can survive a full two weeks without any food at all. He's not malnourished either. The fat stores in his body can sustain him .. and that is what he needs to do .. burn off the fat in his liver. That isn't to say that he's having a good time ... the human body doesn't WANT to burn off that fat. It tends to like holding on to it and fights back by making a person hungry. I think allot of people here will agree that the preop diet is near the top of the list of the hardest things about getting WLS. I would personally rank it as #1 on my list, it was worse than recovery for me. Granted, I think I had a fairly easy time after surgery with very little pain. (relatively speaking)

I will also say that only having 2 protein drinks is more restrictive than I had it. I was allowed 4 8 oz drinks a day along with the veggies. So that was about 800 calories a day. Personally I think the best support for me was my family trying not to eat around me or cooking food that smelled really good. When my husband was hungry he would make himself a sandwich in the kitchen and eat in there so I didn't see or smell anything he ate.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Most Active
Recent Topics