Protein Pointers Needed

kiy0721
on 8/14/17 9:41 pm

Purduebaby12 yes I have started to weigh my food I am able to eat 2.5 ounces of chicken at a comfortable pace and I may get a piece of broccoli in and then my experience is over (sad to say) my taste buds have changed dramatically. I have stuck w/ ground chicken, ground turkey, salmon and chicken breast.

Dcgirl
on 8/11/17 6:34 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

There are SO many protein options. I had a Chike high protein coffee shake for breakfast everyday for more than a year. You can get it on amazon. It's sort of sweet but also has a coffee taste so it's not unbearable. Are you allowed to eat actual food yet? If so, how about babybel cheese, part-skim ricotta cheese warmed in the microwave with italian seasoning added, ground turkey with taco seasoning and mexican cheese, chicken broth with unflavored protein powder added (don't add it to HOT liquid or it will clump), shredded rotisserie chicken if your pouch can tolerate it, soft and flaky fish like tilapia or cod or perch...so many options!

Have you ever used Shelley's blog, the World According to Eggface? She was a lifesaver for me after surgery - check out her links for protein tips, mushy foods, how to dress up protein shakes, recipes and more. She is a member here too! http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/p/links-resou rces.html

kiy0721
on 8/12/17 8:25 pm

Now this is the response and support that I knew I would find Dcgirl thank you so much. I am going to look into her blog and start taking notes.

Agran
on 8/11/17 10:50 am

A few ideas:

Add unflavoured protein powder to an iced non-fat latte from Starbucks. Low fat milk and protein powder add a lot to it.

Small tins of flavoured tuna - I like the lemon pepper and the one mixed with mayo.

Mixed protein powder in my egg just befor I scramble it. You can hardly taste it.

humus - add protein powder

hope these are some new ideas for you??

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/17 10:51 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I was the same way. I couldn't stand premier shakes after surgery. Now I enjoy them. Try their clear drink. 20g of protein and its similar to a sports drink without the sugar. Though if it is too sweet for you water it down. I fill half my yeti with ice and water the other half with the clear premier.

Also if you drink coffee try adding a bit of the shake to it. I get a big cup and fill some with coffee and half the cup with a chocolate shake. Tastes like a mocha. I have a couple of them a day. I like it better than coffee flavored protein drinks.

Focus on water. Getting protein in will get easier trust me and everyone here. Early out you want to push fluids or it could become a bad situation.

diane S.
on 8/11/17 12:46 pm

Add a tsp of unsweetened coco powder to a chocolate protein shake. Makes it less sweet and more adult. Everyone finds these too sweet after surgery. Keeping them icy cold helps too. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Ruby-doo
on 8/12/17 6:06 pm
VSG on 07/17/17

Hi, I found bottle flavored water that has 15 grams of protein its called protein2O zero sugar, 60 cal and 1 carb. Ordered it at walmart. Been great for me.

Valerie G.
on 8/11/17 3:06 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ricotta cheese has 7g in every quarter cup and is highly versatile to be sweet or savory. It's what got me off of protein drinks all together. I hate them!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

tlh4life
on 8/11/17 3:19 pm
VSG on 04/11/17

I, too, had to stop using Premier Protein because it started causing me some digestive problems. I'd recommend Greek yogurt. A small container has 15g of protein.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/11/17 5:14 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I don't know if this will help you, but it worked for me.

Add a tablespoon of sugar free Jello pudding, a couple of ice cubes and throw them in a blender with a Premier Shake. It helped to change up the flavor.

I loved Pistachio, Banana Cream and White Chocolate.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics