Getting frustrated and down

Nurseratchet76
on 7/31/17 9:41 pm

I started my WLS Journey in Decembr 2016 met with vthe surgeon,psychiatrist, nutritionist, did a sleep study, had an EGD. Well sleep study showed I had sleep apnea so had to be on the CPAP for at least a month waited for a follow-up for that. Had an EGD done and lo and behold I had h-pylori did the antibiotics now I'm waiting for a follow-up next week. Then I started reading on some of the forums that people did not get rid of their h-pylori and had to start the whole 6-week regimen again. So of course that gets me getting a little anxious and now I feel like every bout of heartburn that I get is that stupid little bug LOL. I'm trying to tell myself that maybe the timing is not right I'm just hoping that I get this surgery this year. Did anyone else feel like there was setback after setback? And how did you deal with it? After years of thinking I know that WLS is the right thing for me to do it just feels like my body is falling apart this year oh 41 years lol

Shalo
on 8/1/17 4:48 am

Oh yea, I started in 2015. Every test they sent me for I failed. Which led to a new doctor and treatment. I had to keep telling myself that I wanted to be healthy body, mind, and soul. So that where ever I was in the journey I was learning something or healing something. It led to my surgery on May 10 2017. I am now down 93lbs from my highest weight. I have to say that the setbacks, delays, and frustrations taught me lots about how to continue to be successful in this journey. It is not a sprint. I am much better at rolling with the punches of stalls, monthly water weight issues, and step down loosing. So I encourage you to take a deep breath and press on.

Caff
on 8/1/17 2:27 pm

I'm sorry it's been such a bumpy ride for you.

I've had a few setbacks. In April, just after meeting my surgeon, I had a pulmonary embolism. It was from hormonal birth control, which I had been instructed to take by the nurse. The irony of it all is that I started the program because I am infertile, but my BMI is too high for IVF.

I just got the all-clear from the embolism, only to learn that my vitamin D and iron levels are very low, and they won't proceed without getting them up. Which will take three months. The worst thing was, I had the blood taken in April. They sat on my blood work for almost 3 months before telling me at a follow-up appointment.

Im on a clock - I'm 38 and want to have another baby. So every setback is excruciating for me. But, we will get there, we're heading in the right direction, right? Two steps forward, one step back.

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

Mirandia
on 8/1/17 10:35 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I started my WLS journey finding out that I had the wrong insurance and needed to wait until the next open enrollment so I could switch. That took 10 months. Then I had to wait another month to get a second recommendation from my PCP before I could even start all the insurance requirements. I also had H.Pylori and it took 2 rounds of antibiotics .. the second round was terrible because the insurance didn't let me have the 3-in-one prescription ... oh no, I had to take the 2 antibiotics and the pepto SEPARATELY and in liquid form. Tetracycline tastes nasty btw.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Nurseratchet76
on 8/2/17 5:25 am

Thank you guys for your words of encouragment. Sometimes its nice altho frustrating to hear that other people had issues as well. I keep saying the timing is prob not the best, but i do sure hope that i pass that breath test next week. I dont wna do the antibiotic again yuck!!

PrivateCitizen
on 8/2/17 1:23 pm

Observing from the outside after doing months of research on all types of bariatric I am MORE convinced that every single 'setback' or delay is a positive...for long term stability and acceptance of a massive body change, from removal of stomach (no going back), mental health, coping skills, to weight lost, to living a new life with food in a different way. to the social comments and changes- good and bad.

While I do not wish pain or suffering on anyone ( due to some planned and emergency major surgeries I can relate to just about all the recovery and hospital issues that can happen!!!!!) this experience made you stronger and more committed to your decision, right?

Similar to this "philosophy": years ago I was reading a study done on couples who married against family wishes or of different races, too young, etc. and what they faced as negatives. In pretty much every marriage they stayed together long term in an "us against the world" strength, and "we'll show you!"

When something is so easy, no thinking, no obstructions then how do we learn to deal with adversity when there is a hiccup?

I have been reading several FB (I know, human chaos at work!) groups..the amount of ignorance going in, on basic details, and unpreparedness from people who are getting or have had various procedures..from balloon to RNY is shocking.

I believe it should take longer, with some roadblocks to test the person. (Maybe having a "shadow" week so a person can follow the life of someone having issues?) Everyone of you knows there was much you were not prepared for, and had to learn to deal with..which prepared you for anything else down the road.

I wish you all the best in managing the challenges, and success in all you attempt.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/7/19 6:49 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

>> Observing from the outside after doing months of research on all types of bariatric I am MORE convinced that every single 'setback' or delay is a positive.

As someone who's spent five years "from the inside," I think this is absolutely wrong :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Caff
on 8/2/17 1:24 pm

I made the mistake of comparing my timeline to others on this site, many who went on to surgery before I'd even had my first appointment. It really got to me, and it was difficult to stay calm and patient.

I try not to do that anymore and my mantra is now "this is your journey, and yours alone".

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics