Drinking soon after eating

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/17 8:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Well, an untouched stomach can expand to about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle. Lots of room for liquids and solids. A VSG stomach is about the size of a sharpie or highlighter, depending on what size your surgeon was shooting for. Not much room for anything.

That's pretty drastic. It's why we have surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/23/17 12:54 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

It's nice to talk about science, but people are telling you about their experience which is pretty consistent among a lot of people. If you drink right after your meals you'll wash out the food in your stomach into your intestines. You'll be hungry sooner rather than later.

The vsg does change your anatomy drastically in that you have a high pressure system now whereas b4 you didn't, hence the higher gerd complication rate among vsg'rs.

If you use the search button a guy on here named Frisco used to post about the pyloric valve on a regular basis. Or just use the search button & type out pyloric valve as your question has been asked b4 & there might be some science links you can look into. Basically the advice is still don't drink with your meals.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 7/23/17 9:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Sadly what I've read to support this rule has come from textbooks. The stomach's job is to turn bolus into chyme and once the right consistency of chyme is reached, the pyloric valve opens to release it into the intestines. If you add liquid to the stomach, this will let chyme reach the right consistency more quickly, causing the pyloric valve to open more quickly and continuing the process of digestion. What this all really means is that people who have intact stomachs shouldn't be drinking while they eat either.

And then, of course, there's the space issue. Adding more volume into a stomach that's full can be suboptimal.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/17 12:12 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and chyme . . .

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/23/17 11:27 am

It is a common sense really... I don't think you need to studies to confirm that.

Sleeve has 2 valves. After it gets streched as much as it can to accommodate food, adding liquids it is going to cause more streching or one or the other valve it is going to give - causing either "dumping" like symptoms or GERD... Repeat that over and over and you may end up with streached sleeve. And severe GERD...and weight gain.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AggieMae
on 7/23/17 2:22 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I inadvertently took a few sips of wine during dinner and it didn't take much to make me barf up my entire meal. I tested this with water and the same thing happened. Gross.

Didn't need to try it a third time.

Donna L.
on 7/23/17 6:05 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The problem quickly becomes one of capacity - the food actually backs up into the esophagus and can potentially stretch it over time. The pyloric valve is always slightly open, however (maybe usually 1mm or less though). As for applying the rule to the VSG, what basically happens is that food "sits" over the upper esophageal sphincter. This causes a multitude of issues on its own. However, we see this a lot with RNY patients as well, where the entrance to the pouch gets stretch from overeating.

The reason the liquid and food volume likely are not contained is simply physics - we have only so much room, of course (a few ounces) and the pyloric valve is kept shut by protein and fat. Over time this is bad for esophageal tone and can contribute to GERD among other things.

Will it kill you? No. Will it impede weight loss? Yes, because it will allow you to overeat. Liquid compresses food further, and makes the stomach hold more, as well. The #1 trick for competitive eaters (or binge eating, actually) is to drink while eating, because you can simply consume a much more significant amount at once.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Steph Meat Hag
on 7/24/17 12:46 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Fact: post lapband I learned real fast that soft foods and drinking during a meal meant I could eat almost as much as I could before.

Fact: I can eat more with VSG if I eat soft foods or things that turn to liquid like ice cream or drink something during my meal. I didn't go to get cut up just to go back to eating a lot of foods. I've tested it because I'm like that, I like to test things out to be sure and to prove it to myself that it can be done. It can be done and if you need to test it do it and then stop it or you'll be back to where you came from.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active
Recent Topics