3 Days After Surgery and Can Get 8oz in 15 min. Is that normal?

Jennergy
on 7/13/17 9:02 am
VSG on 07/10/17

I had surgery on Monday the 10th. Surgery day, it took a day to get in 8 oz. Next day, I was able to get about 8 oz in an hour. Wed, same thing but easier. Today, Thursday, I can get about 8 oz in 15 min.

Is my sleeve too big? Dr. used 40 french bougie. Am I stretching it out? I'm getting about 64 oz of liquids. And I honestly feel like I could eat anything as long as I chewed it enough.

Thoughts? I definitely don't want this to be unsuccessful!!! I've been overweight my entire life!

Thanks!

Jennergy

Gwen M.
on 7/13/17 9:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You're three days post-op which means you're on liquids, right?

I never felt any restriction on liquids, which makes sense because we've got fully functional pyloric valves. You can't stretch your stomach on liquids. Some people do have trouble drinking post-op, some don't. Consider yourself lucky that you don't because you'll have an easy time reaching your liquid and protein goals!

Your stomach is also healing. The nerves were severed and you can't believe anything it tells you. You might be able to shove anything into it right now, but that would be super unsafe and unwise. So please don't try!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jennergy
on 7/13/17 9:47 am
VSG on 07/10/17

Gwen,

Thanks! Yes I'm on fluids only. I won't be going against the dr recommendations because I'm so afraid to hurt my new sleeve!

theAntiChick
on 7/13/17 9:18 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I was told there is absolutely no way to stretch the sleeve with fluids.

Everyone is different. The first few days I could only drink an ounce or two at a time, and it was like a full time job just trying to get in the minimum fluids. It eased over time.

It sounds as if you're lucky to not have any trouble drinking fluids, and some people don't. As long as you're following your surgeon's recommendations, you are fine.

And remember the fluid level they give is usually a MINIMUM. I wouldn't stop at 64 oz if you can drink more.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/13/17 4:01 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Your sleeve is fine.

The only time I had difficulty getting in fluids was the first time I was forced to drink something before I left the hospital. I thought I would pass out.

The nerve endings in your stomach have been severed. You may or may not feel full restriction, even with fluids, for some time. You cannot gauge any reliable sense of fullness at this point so soon after surgery. Measure everything you eat to avoid busting your suture line.

Do not eat "anything." Stick to your surgeon's plan.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics