Had surgery 3 weeks ago. Disapointed beyond words.

cappy11448
on 7/13/17 8:03 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of your frustrations. Hang in there. I hope it will get better.

I have a few thoughts - I don't know I they will help, but I do hope so.

Sometimes feelings of hunger are due to acid in the tummy. Are you taking something to limit stomach acid? You might want to try a different antacid.

Did you try cutting out carbohydrates? I have to go really low carb, or I have food cravings. Try limiting your carbs to under 25 grams per day. You may need to white-knuckle it for the first few days as carbs are really addictive. If you go low carbs for 3 or 4 days, you may find the cravings stop.

Dealing with obesity is tough. Hang in there, it should get better.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Laura in Texas
on 7/14/17 5:35 am

You mentioned depression. If you have been diagnosed by a professional, I hope you are in therapy. If not, I hope you consider doing so. Perhaps this is just common "buyers remorse", but if it is more, do something. Get help.

I am in my 50's. So many people in my life are battling serious health issues. It is why I keep fighting every day for my physical health and mental health. Personal responsibility is key.

I prefer to look at my glass as half full. Life is too short to be angry and miserable all the time.

Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 7/14/17 9:34 am - plymouth, MN

Forgive me for a couple of things in advance.

I didn't read all the responses you got, past the 2nd page. So if you answered what I'm about to ask, previously, I apologize in advance for that.

Also I give cautious consideration when responding to a post, that I'm not necessarily responding to the original poster, based upon length of time I've been on wls boards.

Lastly, you get the disclaimer, I'm not a medical or mental health professional, so I'm not trying to play one on OH or any other wls forum. But all of us who participate borderline at least give some medical/mh advice not being clinically trained professionals or even those who are, they aren't your particular professional.

However with that being said and not knowing everything you've been through, and you don't have to answer this in a public forum, are you on ANY kind of medications (i.e psych meds or steroids ) that are known for weight gain issues?

While I normally don't project my own issues, with wls on the community, I do know that I had started gaining a ton of weight when put on psychotropics, at almost 7 years post rny, with an inability to eat ANYTHING or the little I could eat, I'd projectile vomit.

So I get where you've been through a lot. I am pro wls and I don't believe like most people there is any one bariatric surgery that's superior to another. I also don't believe that bariatric surgeons or patients personally have any intentions to fail their bariatric surgeries.

And if no one has ever had the experience of a failed surgery or complications, whether or not they had regain, it's really not anybody's place to judge you.

And while you have a reason to be upset about your issues post wls, as someone who's had major complications, the only thing I can say is that it does suck. But in my case with life ruining/life ending wls (I'm still pro-wls, even rny, after a reversal) all of them have brought long term success to some and in some ways for others, presented new weight or health challenges.

In my case, I have to try and gauge what's in my best interest of my medical and mental health now. My surgeon wasn't the fault of my issues, I wasn't at fault (even though I wasn't super duper compliant, I didn't do anything so bad to have the complications I did, to the extent that I did). And in my case, where I usually deal with people in the wls communities who have major complications and/or regain, trying to analyze too much of why what went wrong doesn't help (although the "why" is important).

It's more like, where do I go from here, that matters, going further. Of knowing with help from people who know you and can provide the support you need.

My sister had the most ideal experience ever, post gastric bypass, for example. She's almost 15 years post rny, has kept off like 95% of her excess weight, looks amazing, can eat normally and has never had one complication. For the longest time, I really wanted someone close to me, to say, what happened to me, wasn't right(more like horrible and terrifying) and what happened for my sister, was due to luck (which largely was the case, although she did have to pick intensive exercise like 6 years ago, to maintain) but that NEVER happened and at this point, it wouldn't help me with anything.

And we had the same DNA, surgeon and surgery. For me it worked out best, given dealt kind of crappy cir****tances to own what I need to be in my personal best medical and mental health (which is drastically different than most wls peeps) and move on. And rectify in my head, that's what works best for me.

Hoping that might help you. Peace, Lisa

fattofitchick
on 7/14/17 9:40 am
VSG on 04/20/17

I'm not going to beat a dead horse here, and repeat the obvious. But, just know weight loss really does work different for everyone. Surgery is a lot of pressure. I get it, I feel the same way, and I have to constantly remind myself that I will not fail this. I know when I'm stressed I can eat A LOT more than I should; probably more than double what I should be eating, easily.

For me, upping my workout routine helped with my cravings A LOT. I felt the need to actually eat less than days that I didn't work out because I didn't want to overcompensate and eat more than the calories I had burned. Walking just wasn't cutting it so I joined a gym and regularly lift and do hot yoga--once cleared do what works for you.

Also, just hang in there. I never thought I would be hungry post op and I find myself often hungry. Just try to follow the program as best as you can, drink your water and protein. Maybe even count calories, it's helped me with my mindfulness, even if you're consuming more volume than you feel that you should be, as long as you're below 800 calories you will be ok.

Surgery Date: 4/20/17 HW: 322 SW: 308 CW: 221.6 GW: 150

My personal WLS blog and wls-friendly recipes: www.fattofitchick.com

idgett
on 7/14/17 11:31 am - WV

Well...I'm a woman...but I'm also a successful VSG patient! I loved to eat! That was my feel good thing! Country cook! Loving nothing other than mama's cooking! You can view my profile and see where I've been, and where I'm at now.

I still crave...I let myself have what I'm craving, but it's easier to turn off..after a few bites...I'm done

No weight loss surgery is a magic pill...it only helps with the amount you eat...If you only sit around and wait on yourself to get hungry again so you can have a slice of yummy pizza, a piece of that homemade fudge...slider foods like soup, shakes, ice cream.

You have to redirect your feel good receptors in you brain. Like when an drug or alcohol addict goes sober...you have to fight and change your life.

Your VSG is a tool...but it's up to you to make the change!

I'm 8 years out...went from 300+ to as of yesterday 142...size 28 to size 4 or 6. VSG is a great tool, but you have to have the desire to work it for it to be successful!

Good luck! Let me know if I can help you!

Let me tell you how much I love my sleeve...

Start:: 291+/ SW:282 Current/173 Surgeon's goal/ 175 My goal: 165 I'm 5'6"  

My true goal is whatever weight gets me in a size 10      
shaigirlfaith
on 7/17/17 6:09 pm

I have suffered from chronic gastritis, hiatal hernia and peptic ulcer disease. With gastritis you have excess acid and one of the big issues with that is this horrid constant gnawing hunger that is almost impossible to try to satiate. For my self, I have to eat high fat foods to make it go away or I'll feel hungry shortly after I eat. For many people this might be the opposite. I believe also due to the hernia I will sometimes belch a lot of little ones if my stomach is upset from the acid. Gastritis also causes nausea and vomiting but I would think or at least hope your surgeon recognized any problems like this with your stomach. I saw another post that mentioned acid feeling like hunger, this has been definitely true for me.

SusieQ_RN
on 7/19/17 3:36 am

Female, approaching 60... ultra slow metabolism from an underactive thyroid gland. VSG Aug. 1, 2013. Starting weight 300. Weight at the one year mark... 165. Slowly, steadily, I began re-gaining some of those pounds. 50 of them. My in-laws really nagged me when I visited 2 months ago. I had been depressed, eating junk in the evenings... nothing I did would stop the cravings. I have a bad right knee and bad left ankle, so walking was out. I felt pretty hopeless... thennn happened to catch a TEDx Talk given by Neuroscientist Mark Mattson. I will post the link for his video:

Why fasting bolsters brain power: Mark Mattson at TEDx Talks - Professor of Neuroscience at The Johns Hopkins University https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8 I am an RN, but I did not remember from Nursing 114:Nutrition that it takes the body 10-12 hours to break down a meal. If I eat three meals a day (plus one snack) the way I was taught, I will NEVERRR get through my fat stores. Many of the successful Intermittent Fasters will alternate a 16:8 Fast:Feast schedule with a 20:4 schedule. I rarely get through 3-4 days on any diet, but was inspired to try this routine to sharpen my brain, and hopefully lose those 50 lbs.

:

This first presentation video by Mark Mattson led me to seek out YouTube videos on Intermittent Fasting. I am a visual learner, and I must have CONSTANT reinforcement. I stumbled upon videos from a fasting coach, Dy Ann Parham (pronounced Diane). I am FINALLY hopeful again. When I have exhausted all of Dy Ann's videos, I will find someone elses. What I have gleaned from the videos so far is... there are 3 hunger hormones that wreak havoc with our bodies. I do not understand why my Bariatric surgeon's Nutritionist didn't mention these tricky hormones. Getting them stabilized was the ONLYYYY way I could control an insatiable appetite. I started the Intermittent Fasting 2 weeks ago, a grueling 20:4 start... most people are not as impatient as I am, and start out on the 16:8 schedule. I am down 14 lbs. The first 3-4 days were brutal, but I got through them. When I consume the bad carbs, it makes me hungry as a bear 2 hours later. I am in a panic to lose weight for a college reunion in 2 months. Ordinarily, when I am stressed, I just eat MORE, but the videos are helping, and I am making better food choices. Intermittent Fasting is not a diet. As Dy Ann Parham says, "It's about timing". I have found that the gastric sleeve gives me an advantage over the Intermittent Fasters who have not had Bariatric surgery. My sleeve is beginning to work again. My appetite has FINALLY gotten under control. I have added 1 tsp MCT Oil (high end high-priced coconut oil) to my coffee to help curb the cravings during my fasting window. A 16 oz bottle at Whole Foods is $15.99. The Bullet Proof brand is $19.99, and the super refined Bullet Proof Brain Octane MCT Oil is $28.99. The creator of the Bullet Proof brand is Dave Asprey, a Silicon Valley bio-hacker. I should have bought the $15.99 generic brand of MCT Oil, but at the last minute, purchased the $28.99 bottle. I do not regret the decision, as I needed a little extra encouragement starting out. When you fast for 16, 18, 20, 24 hours... not only does this limit the insulin surges from frequent meals, but it stimulates the growth hormone, which helps burn fat more efficiently. Near the end of my fast, I exercise in a pool for 45 minutes while my body is a fat burning machine. (My fat stores are fueling the work out.) You might want to check out Mark Mattson's video... then go to YouTube and see what other resources you can identify with. I don't know if I can make it to September at the pace I've been going, but I am encouraged for the first time in 3 years. Get your hunger hormones in balance, and the hunger cravings will stop messing with you. Good luck !
Most Active
Recent Topics