Had surgery 3 weeks ago. Disapointed beyond words.

Mirandia
on 7/13/17 8:55 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Although I am not a man, my reaction to the surgery sounds more like you than it does to allot of folks on here. I didn't see a big weight loss early on like many and I haven't had a single problem eating anything. Even though I'm not seeing big numbers coming off ... I do see CONSISTENT weight loss of around 10 pounds per month. I'm coming up on the 4 month mark and I'm down about 45 pounds or so (I haven't weighed myself in a couple of weeks, so I don't know what it is exactly)

At this point I wouldn't panic. You are still healing and no one can actually predict how your weight loss is going to proceed ... not even your doctors. I wish there was a way. I would love to know how much weight I will end up losing in total and how fast i'm going to get there. The only advise I can give ... stick with your plan. You've lost 8 pounds in only 3 weeks! That is more than 2 pounds a week ... what diet have you been on that has done that for you?

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Memedrift
on 7/13/17 9:13 am
VSG on 06/27/17

Thanks so much for posting this. It's nice to know I'm not the only one having this experience. I guess if I continually lost 10 lbs a month...I mean, I wouldn't be happy, but I could content myself with it, as long as it kept going.

I've actually dieted plenty of times and lost 2 lbs a week. I'm just never able to sustain it for years at a time, and eventually gain it all back.

Do you still feel hungry all the time? I feel like some of the responses to me here have basically been "No, you can't really be hungry." Have you felt that?

Mirandia
on 7/13/17 12:42 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

No, not all the time. But I do get hungry. It really does sound like there might be something else going on with you ... maybe it IS an acid problem. Maybe adding fiber to your protein shakes could also help (just don't go overboard)

Its so hard for me to offer anything that could immediately help since you are only 3 weeks out and still healing. One thing I can say ... look at your incisions on the surface of your skin ... that's what your stomach is probably looking like too healing wise too. If you wouldn't want to pull on those on the surface of your skin then you REALLY don't want to overfill yourself and pull on the cuts on the inside either.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/13/17 4:22 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It really, really could be an acid problem. Many, if not most VSGers try several different kinds and dosages of acid reducers and PPIs before they find a combination that clicks.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Memedrift
on 7/14/17 5:55 am
VSG on 06/27/17

I'm taking my prescription PPI. Are you suggesting that I should take something on top of that as well?

Grim_Traveller
on 7/14/17 6:24 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Your dose may be too low, or you need it more frequently. There are also different kinds of PPIs and acid reducers -- different chemicals entirely. One of those might work better for you than the one you are on.

And, there is a gene mutation they can test for. Those with the mutation can metabolize PPIs really fast, or not at all -- which would mean a PPI will never work for you. The genetic test is for Cytochrome P450 2C19 genotype, and is a simple blood test. The mutation affects lanzoprasole, omeprazole and pantoprazole, as well as other drugs such as some antidepressants.

The presence of H Pylori also effects PPIs.

Talk to your doctors. Get all the information you can, and make any adjustments you need to. Acid can be a really big issue with VSG, and it can be for life. Best to figure it out sooner rather than later.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 7/14/17 7:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might need a stronger one - which one are you taking?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Amy R.
on 7/13/17 9:44 am

I didn't have a sleeve - but I did have a near total gastrectomy, so take this for what it's worth.

No one knows if you need counseling but you. I don't walk in your shoes so I won't go there.

One thing that helps with hunger is adding a bit of fat into your diet. It sounds counter-intuitive but it's really not overall. Haven't seen anyone mention this so just thought I would. Many post ops eat less than 1,000 calories a day, as you do. Successful ones often times add some fat to their eating plan to increase satiety. You may want to try it for a few days and see if it helps you with the hunger feelings.

Sorry you are having this experience so early out. I hope you find what works for you.

Memedrift
on 7/13/17 9:53 am
VSG on 06/27/17

I've already been doing the "healthy fats" by adding in some avocado, but thanks for the suggestion.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/13/17 4:56 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm afraid to say, doctors and nutritionists hand out really ****ty information and advice. I've had to ignore a lot of really stupid stuff, like "eat more carbs."

There is zero difference in hunger postop between men and women. Zero. Some have hunger, some don't. It's random, and has nothing to do with gender. In fact, hearing the opposite is true. Many women complain about how much easier men have it.

Ignore all their bullcrap about how much you'll lose, or how fast. I've lost 70 pounds more than my surgeon said I would. Look in my ticker to see my monthly losses.

Carbs cause cravings, and 100 is way too many. Go under 20. It takes a while to detox, but you'll feel better once you kick the carbs.

Weigh everything. Log everything. It's the best thing I've done, by far.

Your nerves were cut. You don't feel anything right now, so you WON'T feel anything. Don't expect to. Don't let it disappoint you.

Try a different acid med, and different dosages. It really really matters with VSG.

You are at the point where most people freak out after surgery. Some get depressed, some are inconsolable, some are angry. Buyer's remorse is very common. Congratulations for being like the rest of us.

Now get your ass back out there and work that tool like your life depends on it. It is totally worth it, believe me.

6'3" tall, male.

Most Active
Recent Topics