Had surgery 3 weeks ago. Disapointed beyond words.

hollykim
on 7/13/17 7:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 13, 2017 at 1:15 PM Pacific Time, Donna L. wrote:

Many people feel hunger post-op, men and women. It's a myth that cravings go away, and that hunger goes away. If cravings went away I'd be rejoicing myself, heh. Mine are still here, and I have to work with them.

Hunger is a curious thing. It's not just physiological - it's also psychological. It is very difficult to reset hunger once we are obese.

What helps is maximizing the biological aspect. Higher carbohydrate diets stimulate hunger. Protein and fat dull hunger considerably. Also, we are often hungry when we are thirsty, or have acid issues. Do you take a PPI? It's very common for men and women with uncontrolled acid to be hungry post-op.

The brain is the hard part, though. The brain is actually the organ that dictates hunger, not the stomach, and it sounds like your hunger may be head hunger or habit. Do you notice you are hungry when bored, lonely, sad, angry, or frustrated? Because, that's not true physical hunger.

I struggle with cravings all the time. That is why I work with a counselor.

As for amount of weight loss, the more weight to lose, the faster it is. If you have under 80-100 pounds to lose it will be much slower. If you are losing slowly the first 2 months post-op, reduce carb amounts if they are high, because carbs slow weight gain to a considerable degree.

it is not a myth that hunger goes away. Mine went away and has stayed away for 7 years. Please don't try to speak for me when you post like this. Everyone is different, and your experience is not everyone's experience.

Gwen M.
on 7/13/17 7:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

And clearly it doesn't for everyone, which means claiming that "hunger goes away" is a myth as that statement implies that it will go away for everyone. It's great that yours went away, but that doesn't change the fact that telling people "hunger goes away" is a lie - because it might not.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 7/13/17 8:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

And clearly it doesn't for everyone, which means claiming that "hunger goes away" is a myth as that statement implies that it will go away for everyone. It's great that yours went away, but that doesn't change the fact that telling people "hunger goes away" is a lie - because it might not.

hunger going away or not going away... neither is a myth. It goes away for some and doesn't for others. I never said it goes away for everyone. I firmly believe it does not.

My beef with the post I responded to is that she said it is a myth,period,not that it goes away for some and not others. it is clearly not a myth,either way.

Gwen M.
on 7/13/17 9:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If a statement is presented as universally true, as "hunger goes away after surgery" often is, then, yes, it is a myth - even if it is true for some people.

A factual statement would be "hunger may or may not go away after surgery."

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Mirandia
on 7/13/17 9:07 am
VSG on 03/14/17

I don't see the phase "all people" in that statement, in fact the first two words in that quote are "many people". Your comment in not only unwarranted but unhelpful to a person seeking help and support.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

hollykim
on 7/13/17 11:30 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 13, 2017 at 4:07 PM Pacific Time, Mirandia wrote:

I don't see the phase "all people" in that statement, in fact the first two words in that quote are "many people". Your comment in not only unwarranted but unhelpful to a person seeking help and support.

I didn't say it said "all people". She said it was a myth that hunger goes away. I ask her not to speak for me using those absolute statements. It is NOT a myth that hunger doesn't go away for all just like it is not a myth that it does. It is different for everyone.

Donna L.
on 7/13/17 11:52 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18
On July 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
On July 13, 2017 at 1:15 PM Pacific Time, Donna L. wrote:

Many people feel hunger post-op, men and women. It's a myth that cravings go away, and that hunger goes away. If cravings went away I'd be rejoicing myself, heh. Mine are still here, and I have to work with them.

Hunger is a curious thing. It's not just physiological - it's also psychological. It is very difficult to reset hunger once we are obese.

What helps is maximizing the biological aspect. Higher carbohydrate diets stimulate hunger. Protein and fat dull hunger considerably. Also, we are often hungry when we are thirsty, or have acid issues. Do you take a PPI? It's very common for men and women with uncontrolled acid to be hungry post-op.

The brain is the hard part, though. The brain is actually the organ that dictates hunger, not the stomach, and it sounds like your hunger may be head hunger or habit. Do you notice you are hungry when bored, lonely, sad, angry, or frustrated? Because, that's not true physical hunger.

I struggle with cravings all the time. That is why I work with a counselor.

As for amount of weight loss, the more weight to lose, the faster it is. If you have under 80-100 pounds to lose it will be much slower. If you are losing slowly the first 2 months post-op, reduce carb amounts if they are high, because carbs slow weight gain to a considerable degree.

it is not a myth that hunger goes away. Mine went away and has stayed away for 7 years. Please don't try to speak for me when you post like this. Everyone is different, and your experience is not everyone's experience.

I apologize - I did not mean to generalize. It is absolutely true some people are not hungry again!

My experience doesn't just come from being a surgical patient. I also work with bariatric patients as a therapist. And, after working with several dozen WLS patients at this point though, it's clear more have hunger than not. More have hunger due to acid, head hunger, and other cues, and it does not go away.

It is true that it's an absolute myth surgery will reduce or eliminate hunger for everyone. You are right, though, and it's more correct to say, "it may go away, but there's a good chance it might not. You need to work on why you eat and you need to track your hunger impulses, and see what may be causing them."

Thank you for your input and perspective, HollyKim! :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 7/13/17 6:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Well, first off it sucks that your team is giving you such bad information. There is no reason that men can't (and aren't) just as successful as women with this surgery. Although it is true that revisions often lose weight more slowly than original surgeries - this doesn't mean that they're not successful with time!

1 - please find yourself a therapist. It sounds like you've got a lot of mental stuff going on (as most all of us do) and that it hasn't been addressed at all between your lap band and now. The current situation is just driving you into a negative hate spiral and therapy can help you to figure out how to get out of that into a healthier brain space. It sounds like you're letting your brain sabotage you and you need to break that cycle - this is one of those things that a professional can help with.

2 - It's annoying that everyone's all like "omg no hunger after surgery." Sure, the part of your stomach where the majority of gherlin is made has been removed, but that hormone is produced elsewhere in the body. So it's a false narrative to tell people they'll never be hungry again. But... that leads me to the following points.

3 - Right now, you're recovering from surgery. Your stomach was cut apart and sewn back together and this means that the nerves in your stomach were severed. It doesn't know it's hungry. It doesn't know it's full. It knows nothing (like Jon Snow). It's a lying liar that lies. If you think your stomach is telling you "FEED ME," it's lying. Don't believe it.

4 - Hunger, at this point, is most often caused from one of two things. The first is dehydration. How much fluid are you drinking each day? If you're getting the minimum of 64 ounces, aim for 96. The second most likely culprit is acid. Are you taking a PPI such as Prilosec or Nexium? If you're not, start. If you are, try something stronger. Manage fluids and acid.

5 - Try to prioritize protein and to include healthy fats in your diet. These foods will help you to feel sated. Refined and processed carbs won't. What does a normal day of eating look like for you? A regular post-VSG diet should be small portions that you weigh before you eat to ensure you don't overeat (back to the lying stomach thing - it does not know when it is full right now. NEVER eat until you feel full). Those portions should be primarily protein.

I know you feel overwhelmed and like giving up right now, but please don't. Please maximize this tool you've been given and wait to evaluate it after 5-6 months. You CAN do this.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/13/17 3:54 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

^^^^ What Gwen said

Are you taking a PPI? If not, that feeling of hunger might be stomach acid. Lack of adequate fluids can also cause your body to think it's hungry. If you're taking a PPI, it may not be working for you. Call your surgeon and ask for a recommendation/prescription for a different type.

I definitely experienced a physical loss of appetite after surgery, but cravings are a different story.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

missc_26
on 7/14/17 1:05 am
VSG on 10/03/16

(Stomach) "It's a lying liar that lies."

One of my fav quotes ever on OH

Most Active
Recent Topics