Had surgery 3 weeks ago. Disapointed beyond words.

Gwen M.
on 7/13/17 8:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might need a stronger PPI - some people do immediately post-op. It's worth asking about.

Very few people here eat 1000 calories a day at 3 weeks post-op and, during weight loss, most aim for 600-800. Adding carbs to your diet is not a sound plan - there's no reason to, they won't help you reach your goal.

It's also not uncommon for people to feel miserable and depressed during the initial (6 weeks) post-op period. There's hormone dumping, and questioning, and frustration with diet progression, etc. Therapy can help with all of this.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Memedrift
on 7/13/17 9:50 am
VSG on 06/27/17

The 1000 calories a day thing is the suggestion from my Nutritionist at my Surgeon's office...Even with that, and even on an almost all protein diet, I'm really struggling with it. She mentioned that I may be emtptying my stomach via my pyloric valve much faster than most people?

Today for example, I drank 35oz of fluid, (because I was hungry and trying to be sure it wasn't thirst, or if I could fill with liquid) and then because I was still feeling hungry, I ate 2oz of turkey...not feeling full at all. I could seriously down a cheeseburger right now. I am still drinking, no pressure. All of this within 15 minutes.

Gwen M.
on 7/13/17 9:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There are tests for gastric emptying. If you're concerned your pyloric valve is too fast, it might be wise to see a GI doctor to get it tested.

As I said in my longer reply below, I get that your stomach is telling you that it feels hungry, but you can't trust it right now. You should be eating slowly and waiting for at least 30 minutes after eating solid foods to drink.

Regarding the 1000 calories - Nuts are known to give bad advice. Countless people are told that oatmeal and crackers and even toast and mashed potatoes are okay to eat post-op Many are still told that Flintstones vitamins are totally awesome. Ultimately, it's your body and you're the one who has to make the choices and deal with the consequences.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way, it really sucks.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/14/17 4:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

At less than a month post-op, you are NOT going to feel full. The nerves in your stomach have been cut, and won't re-grow for quite a while. You cannot trust the sensations from your stomach, especially if you're used to the feeling from a band.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NYMom222
on 7/15/17 5:45 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I can hear your frustrated, give it time. Your nerves are cut so you may not be feeling as much restriction as you will further out. You are only three weeks out it's still early to tell when your full.

I wanted to mention the pyloric valve. People who have RNY don't even have a pyloric valve anymore. That's why it's important to eat dense protein first, not things like yogurt and things unless they fill you . Not sure if you're at that stage yet, but the transition to dense protein just definitely changes things.

Stick with it, give it a chance, and good luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Memedrift
on 7/13/17 9:52 am
VSG on 06/27/17

The 1000 calories a day thing is the suggestion from my Nutritionist at my Surgeon's office...Even with that, and even on an almost all protein diet, I'm really struggling with it. She mentioned that I may be emtptying my stomach via my pyloric valve much faster than most people?

Today for example, I drank 35oz of fluid, (because I was hungry and trying to be sure it wasn't thirst, or if I could fill with liquid) and then because I was still feeling hungry, I ate 2oz of turkey...not feeling full at all. I could seriously down a cheeseburger right now. I am still drinking, no pressure. All of this within 15 minutes.

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/17 9:53 am, edited 7/13/17 2:55 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I am 3.5 months out and often hungry. I think I my case it's because I'm stressed, often not well hydrated and choose not to take a PPI even though I have acid issues. I want to add that 100g carb is in no way a low carb diet - you will likely be able to manage hunger better and lose weight faster if you stick to 20-30g carbs and 700-800 calories per day. 1000 calories at 3 weeks out is a huge amount.

I read a book pre-op called "the emotional first aid kit" that I think you might enjoy.

Donna L.
on 7/13/17 12:16 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Hunger drops on a low carb diet when it drops to 50g or less. Protein and fat naturally stimulate satiety, and cause us to not crave food. 100g of carbs a day, and many are hungry. I lost most of my weight eating 1000 calories a day and under 30g of carbs. I agree 100% about misery - it might be worth trying to drop carbohydrate a bit. Many people without WLS have very little hunger on ketogenic diets, for instance.

I am so sorry you have to deal with this, and I completely understand the frustration, myself. I discovered that staying very low carb, drinking a lot, and eliminating basically all bread, pasta, and starches did the trick for me.

I can totally understand where your perspective came from. I asked my surgeon outright before surgery, and he said it was possible but would not happen for sure. The truth is that no one knows until after surgery, if hunger will go away. It's an unknown quantity entirely. I am sorry that you have to deal with it, though. I hope you are able to find what helps!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Memedrift
on 7/13/17 12:32 pm
VSG on 06/27/17

I was on an zero carb diet since the surgery, but it didn't really seem to be aiding much, which is why I think she suggested I try more carbs. I'll keep that in mind that everyone else says otherwise, although, it's frustrating to receive the opposite advice from the professional nutritionist I'm paying for.

I haven't eaten bread for more than a year. Maybe once a month if I'm out with other people, but not regularly by any means Even more so for pasta. I can be more vigilant about other carbs though. Thanks for the advice.

Donna L.
on 7/13/17 4:21 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was on zero carb for quite a while post-op. I don't have much hunger now, but I also tweaked all my medications and found a combination that worked. I know it can be quite frustrating, especially when it comes to nutritionists. I basically discount what nutritionists say, because I gained 15 pounds before surgery (...) following the diabetic nutritionist's advice to the letter. The bariatric surgeon and nutritionist said to ignore her, basically. It sucks indeed - I know first-hand.

Getting my other medications fixed helped quite a bit. I have one antidepressant, and the old one exacerbated it a bit. Getting my thyroid stuff fixed also helped a ton. It can truly be many annoying things, and it's really frustrating!

I hope that you're able to find what works for you. Please keep us updated, for sure.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics