Why Can't I Feel Super Excited About WLS The Way Everyone Else Does

Cathy H.
on 7/12/17 5:24 pm, edited 7/12/17 10:26 am
VSG on 10/31/16

First, it sounds like you are not emotionally or mentally ready for surgery. As Gwen said, it seems you have some issues you need to work on beforehand.

Second, if that was my surgeon, I'd find another one ASAP!

I was scheduled to have a hysterectomy (which I need badly) in February. I wasn't crazy about my surgeon, she was a bit cold but on the ball, and I knew that lot of surgeons have lousy bedside manner, so I just went ahead. She was also a Gynecologic Oncologist, because my WLS surgeon thought I might have cancer when he opened me up (I have huge fibroids, but no cancer, thank God!). The surgery was going to be performed using the DaVinci surgical robot.

A week before surgery when I met with her, she came into the office with 2 assistants (never had any with her before), and her hair 1/2" long all over her head. She was forgetful and a bit scattered, and kept looking to the assistants to remind her of details, etc. NOBODY addressed the elephant in the room...her recently shaved head. I didn't need to know details, but something should have been said...I was going to be putting my life in this woman's hands!

I cancelled the surgery the next day; there was NO WAY I was going to let that woman open me up and use a robot on me...no freaking way! I'm meeting with a new surgeon at the end of August. I would have loved to have had the surgery over with, but I was not willing to move forward...what trust and respect I had for that surgeon evaporated that day.

Don't go into something as major as this surgery if you're not 100% committed to what comes next, or if you're not 100% sure of your surgeon.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

SkinnyBonz38
on 7/13/17 9:38 am

Thank you all tremendously! I know what I must now do! If I could hire everyone of you to be my Therapist I would! Your advice is sound, very direct and makes everything clear. May we all be fit healthy and happy!

Most Active
Recent Topics