Feel dumb calling my doctor about this question.

fleab123
on 7/12/17 8:39 am
VSG on 07/24/17

Ok, I feel really dumb even asking this but will anyway. I am scheduled to be sleeved on 7/24 and that is right in the middle of my heaviest days of my period. I'm assuming this is no issue but has anyone heard differently or experienced this?

Grim_Traveller
on 7/12/17 9:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Not a problem. It happens.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/12/17 9:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Not a problem at all! Doctors and nurses are totally used to various bodily functions, so it's nothing to be embarrassed about.

You may not be allowed to wear a tampon in the OR, but that gives you a convenient way to bring the subject up. When you're doing your final pre-op clearance, you can just say, "I'll probably be on my period that day, should I use a tampon or a pad?" TOTALLY no big deal.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

theAntiChick
on 7/12/17 10:29 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Don't ever feel dumb about calling your team. I can tell you that the nurse on your team will be answering this question as it's a routine one, so don't worry about disturbing your doc. ;)

I like the suggestion to call and ask if they prefer you wear a pad or tampon. If there's any other relavent information, that question will trigger them to tell you.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Heather L.
on 7/12/17 11:33 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

Tell the nurse at the hospital and they'll give you disposable underwear and a pad to wear to the OR. It's totally a non-issue to medical staff.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Mirandia
on 7/12/17 12:32 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

Warning - the following story contains TMI about having a period.

My period started the night before my surgery. It makes no difference to the surgery itself, I told them during the intake process and no one cared. BUT it could be a problem for you dealing with the pads/tampons/cup while in recovery because bending at the waist even the slightest little bit was painful. What I did: I inserted a menstrual cup in the morning because they can be left in for up to 12 hours ... plenty of time to get me through the surgery and the first stage of recovery (the point where they get you up and walking) I had no problem removing it when it came time but I couldn't put it back in. Luckily I was prepared for that, I had brought both tampons and pads as well. I couldn't use the tampons (same reason I couldn't get the cup back in place) So I had to go back to using pads. It was a horrible choice. I ended up having problems urinating (common problem most likely from the pain meds following surgery) while it wasn't that big of a deal medically speaking, they had to use a catheter ... so it was a bloody mess down there for the nurse and I was embarrassed. They also had to measure my urine output so I had to pee into a container they placed over the toilet bowl and leave the bloody pee there for the nurses to deal with ... again ... embarrassing.

Long story short ... its just a hassle more than anything. Good luck.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

fleab123
on 7/12/17 1:24 pm
VSG on 07/24/17

That sounds awful! On top of having surgery then having to deal with that. But, it's good to know that in the end it doesn't make a difference with the surgery. And the nurses are used to seeing "it all". I have never actually been able to use a cup (tried so many times and just doesn't stop the flow for me) and I was worried about the bending over to replace a tampon. I am actually just hoping that with my 2 week liquid only pre-op that maybe it's enough to screw up the timing of my period just a little bit and I won't have to deal with it come surgery day. Thanks for your response!

alouisa63
on 7/12/17 4:26 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Oh the memories!! Yep. Mine started the night before but luckily for me, the first day is always light. I brought my own pads and was fine. I remember that when I was on the table they put an extra pee pad under me and I was fine :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

spedmom111
on 7/12/17 4:45 pm
VSG on 07/05/17

I started the following evening

Caff
on 7/13/17 7:04 am

After going through childbirth, multiple miscarriages and lap surgery to remove a Fallopian tube, I can assure you that this is nothing to hospital professionals, they see it alllll the time. :)

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics