surgery postponed by my surgeon

dumplingtype
on 7/10/17 4:00 pm

Hello everyone. I had surgery scheduled for July 25th but due to my weight gain(yeah yeah, I know spare me the lecture please !) the surgeon does not feel comfortable going forward with the original date. So yeah, I know this is for safety reasons---I have to shrink my liver but still am disappointed.

I know surgery is not the end all be all--I'm currently seeing a therapist regarding my food issues

and emotional eating patterns. I guess this just makes me feel like a failure, like I went through all

the pre op visits and now I am set back. Better safe though , I am trying to see the bright side of things.

Thanks for the vent session.

Gwen M.
on 7/10/17 4:17 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry for the delay. Regardless of the reasons, it sucks to have to delay surgery that you planned on. Mine had to be postponed a month due to ulcer.

In good news? At this point in time, almost 3.5 years post-op, I barely remember that it was delayed.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

missc_26
on 7/10/17 4:25 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi dumplingtype,

I can empathise with how disappointing it is to have the date of your surgery changed, especially with the emotional (not just physical ie eating) lead up to such a big event. I'm glad you know that it needs to be done for safety reasons and that you are taking responsibility for your role in its postponement.

There are many reasons we self sabotage (I could write a book on my own sh*t) so your surgeon postponing is a blessing in disguise. Take this extra time to work with your therapist and really identify what is behind this behavior so you can stick to the pre OP part. It will also stand you in good stead to more easily identify and act post OP when triggers occur and/or you are relearning things for your new healthy life.

Try not to be too hard on yourself, recognise and own your part to play and stay determined that you deserve this success in your life. I look forward to seeing your renewed progress and surgery updates.

Valerie G.
on 7/11/17 11:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Darnit, this burns my biscuits, because we got here because we cannot lose weight. Many just can't control themselves at the mere mention of the word diet. What ticks me off is that the doc IS able to do surgery, but they can open you up instead of Laparoscopically. It takes two weeks for an open incision to heal, and no pre-op diet is required. Grrr....****** me off.

Now, that being said, if you do feel in your heart of hearts that you cannot control yourself, then definitely work with a therapist, because the VSG won't help you as much as it could otherwise.

Some surgeons are so damned lazy though!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics