Indulge me please

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/11/17 6:35 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I have had the same experience.

Like you, I only use pure stevia now, with rare exception. The rare exception includes that I am out somewhere and don't have my stevia with me and am dying for a cup of coffee, etc. LOL. I have found that artificial sweeteners, with the exception of monk fruit and stevia, definitely cause my cravings to go into overdrive.

However, the experience I relate to most is the second part. Nearly everyone in my real life support group who has suffered significant regain or who never reached their goal -- shares a commonality of drinking pop. Mind you, this is merely my own anecdotal observation. I know there are plenty of successful vets who drink pop without issue -- and I get it is not everyone. Still, I don't want to take a chance. I am more of a coffee addict anyhow. LOL.

Oh, and the carbonation makes your pouch explode/expand -- HAHAHAHAHAHA!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Gwen M.
on 7/11/17 8:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Ugh that carbonation explosion myth! Because, let me tell you.. my first soda post-op was diet gingerale when I was in the hospital with my dad in his final week. Having the additional worry of "this might explode my stomach" in the back of my head, even if I knew it wasn't true, was DEFINITELY what I needed in my life then, right?! :P

(It didn't, obviously. But, thankfully, it did help to calm my stomach which was why I drank it!)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/10/17 4:02 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I drank diet soda 6 times a day prior to surgery. I knew I would have to forego it after the VSG. I didn't drink it for a year.

I asked my surgeon why they advise against carbonated beverages, whether it was physical or mental. He said there's really nothing scientific to ban it, but it can cause gas and bloating in some people. He said that if I had any problems drinking it, I should avoid it.

Now I have a Coke Zero every couple of days. I can barely finish the entire bottle, but I still love the taste and carbonation.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

missc_26
on 7/10/17 4:03 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I don't drink soda at all but I'm lucky that I've always enjoyed water (now hot chocolate is another story!) I can understand how cravings can get under your skin so easily.

YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK (best demotivated I can offer sorry)

What is it you are missing about diet coke? The taste? The bubbles? I'm no expert but it seems from others after a year is about right to retry and see if it you still even want it. Our tastes do change after surgery so who knows you may hate it by then. For now stick to your plan, stay away from the fizzy & count your successes along the way

redhead65
on 7/10/17 4:16 pm
VSG on 05/19/17

I'm not sure what I miss. I think it might be the fizz. It was just such a big part of my day. Maybe it's like mental hunger?

missc_26
on 7/10/17 4:30 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I understand missing the fizz, especially when our options are protein shake consistency or water. Maybe in a few months you could try soda water (slightly flat) with a slice of lemon or lime and see if that helps stop the desire for diet coke for a wee bit?

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/17 11:53 am
RNY on 04/18/17

I also enjoyed a few Diet Cokes (with Splenda) each week. Never out at a restaurant or from a soda fountain as I avoid aspartame. What I notice is that I want it with certain foods, especially taco salad. Before surgery, I was very aware that sipping a Diet Coke with a meal did allow me to eat more. I drank my last Diet Coke the day before my surgery. Have only craved one a couple of times, and it was with a specific meal choice.

I think we set our minds to believe that a diet soda is a harmless treat, and then it becomes a reward, then a habit. The can colors are shiny and pretty, the pop of the tab is exciting, and the crackle of carbonation is refreshing. I think about the recipe of syrupy chemicals I can't even pronounce; I think of the yucky artificial aftertaste after the drink gets a bit warm; I think about the cost, the trash, the absolute lack of nutrients. Also, carbonation may not be a detriment to your pouch or sleeve, but it is to your bones, and we have enough to worry about as we need to double up on calcium to prevent bone loss. So maybe avoid it because you love your bones and want to keep them strong and supportive??

Amyvsg0504
on 7/10/17 4:07 pm
VSG on 05/04/17

I am in the same boat. I was a huge soda drinker. 60-100oz a day. I just keep telling myself "pretty girls don't burp".. that and all the health reasons everyone listed.

missc_26
on 7/10/17 4:33 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Following my VSG I'm now a card carrying member of GPG "gassy pretty girls". Never burped or had flatulence so much in my life it's quite mortifying!

Cathy H.
on 7/10/17 7:01 pm, edited 7/10/17 12:01 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

For me I missed the flavor, not the fizz. I didn't drink a lot of soda, cut it out years ago, but I did treat myself to one about once a month, a big root beer from Sonic. I'm 8+ months post-op, and just now started drinking some Diet Barq's Root Beer. HOWEVER, I make it go flat and get all the fizz out before I drink it. I know the carbonation is just not good for the stomach, period...whether you have a normal one or a small VSG one. So, since I missed the taste, I just drink it flat.

I'm a very happy girl now! It's only the second thing I have found since surgery to drink that actually tastes GOOD to me. Everything else is either gross or just "meh."

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Most Active
Recent Topics