Almost 5 years out- gained half of loss back

Skys_Journey
on 7/7/17 10:23 pm
VSG on 09/17/12

Hi,

I'm actually sitting here trying to research all the best ways to stop gaining and start losing on google. I started at 257 and lost 90 in the first 6 months...and 10 more in the 3 months after that. 100 pounds in less than a year. Literally. Melted. Off.

So, I've assessed myself and so far this is what I'm doing wrong: not eating enough protein, not eating breakfast, eating at random times, not drinking enough water, not exercising regularly....etc. I'm not being conscious of what I'm doing. I'm just sort of living.

Today, I picked up the registration for a gym membership, I spoke with a WLS friend ...and I think I have a plan. My plan is to start tomorrow on the right foot, plan my meals, avoid sugars, drink plenty of liquid, and go on a walk.

Sky VSG: Sept 17th, 2012 Age: 25  Height: 5'1"

HW: 257 SW: 237 CW:172 GW: 117  TOTAL LOSS: 85LBS   

jenorama
on 7/7/17 11:47 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Sounds like you've made some good decisions going forward! If you want a rough estimate of how many calories you use in a day, multiply your weight by 10. Cut 500 off of that and you'll lose about a pound a week. Going to the gym is a good idea, but don't think, "Hey, I did 30 minutes on the treadmill! I can eat extra!" That is a trap too many people fall into.

You still have an excellent tool with your surgery. The menu threads here are full of good ideas how to eat well on small portions. Good luck to you and keep us updated. :D

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 7/8/17 3:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The single best thing you can do is weigh and log every bite of food you eat. Every last bite.

Lots of successful long timers here don't go to a gym or exercise. Many skip breakfast -- it's really not necessary, and certainly not "the most important meal of the day."

I'm 5 years out too. It's hard. Really hard. Not being conscious of what we do, and just living, is what allows us to eat more and more over time. That's the enemy.

Weighing and logging our food makes us conscious of what and how much we eat. It's the best way to find the right track.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/17 4:10 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Thanks for posting. It's a good reminder to stay vigilant. It sounds like you've got a plan worked out. Good job assessing what you need. You'll do great.

Doriam R.
on 7/8/17 5:24 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

I am there with you and know how it feels. You still have not gained all you weight back, my recomendation to you know is stop and start again in the good path! you can do it, log everything and don't give up.

Best of luck!!!

Gwen M.
on 7/8/17 6:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi and welcome back :) It sounds like you're on the right track. In addition to your list, I highly recommend that you start measuring and tracking every single thing you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal. Tracking helps a lot of people get back on/stay on track.

The good news is, you have a history of success. You've done this before and you CAN do it again. We've got to be vigilant and mindful for the rest of our lives to maintain and you can do it.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/8/17 8:04 am

The good thing is that you know what works and what does not. The bad thing is that ,5 years post op it most likely would be much harder and much longer to lose the regain. But it can be done. One day at a time.

Exercise makes us feel good -diet helps us lose weight.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 7/8/17 12:50 pm - Warren, OH

It is going to take a year of careful eating to lose 50 pounds. Set small goals, like 5 pounds lighter by August 12. Then set another goal for another 5 pounds. If you try to concentrate on losing 50 pounds you will overwhelm yourself.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/8/17 4:33 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

It looks like you got a good plan to get back on track. Try posting on the menu threads, it might help you to keep your head in the game. The gym is a good start, exercise is good for the body, but don't depend too much on it to help with weight loss or eat back your calories.

You can get the weight back off, best of luck to you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

bytheriver
on 7/8/17 5:21 pm - Puerto Rico

im in the same boat you are, in my last doc visit, he pleaded for me to return to my basic diet, after surgery. Proteine, proteine, proteine! Im in college, and taking care of my father, who has alzheimers. I also moved back home, PR, and lost access to walking parks. I live in the mountains, it is dangerous to walk cause people dont share the road and there are lots of stray dogs. I used to have a very active life, work, gym, or park, but now it is sedentary. The focus is more in the diet, back to basics. Good luck and dont give up, we can do this!

Most Active
Recent Topics