An update & Return to work

ShirlAus
on 7/7/17 8:45 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Hi Everyone

Sorry I havent been around much since my sleeve, my best friends passing hit me really hard and not being able to go to his funeral devastated me. I have been in contact with his parents every second day and they allowed me to write a tribute to him - which was read out at the funeral. It really helped with the start of healing. There is a massive void in my life which I know will settle over time but its hard to know you can never pick up the phone and call - we used to speak almost every day. I am thankful hes out of pain and at peace. Memories bring comfort and a smile to my face to wipe away the tears.

I am feeling really great after my sleeve on 06/26. The first week I was quite sore around my stomach but noticed I got a little better each day. This week I was back to cooking for my family - I tend to cook when upset too so the freezer is overflowing with meals - dont think my hubby is complaining one bit. I have lost 24.2 pounds since I started the pre op diet and people are starting to notice it. Only 88 pounds to go in order to reach my goal so Im chugging along.

I was supposed to be on liquid diet for another 3 days which would have been when I went back to work. Having read about foods not agreeing etc etc and given how good I am feeling, I decided to start my 2 week mushy phase last night. I made tuna with cottage cheese and managed over a period of time to get 1/4 cup in. Im taking it very slowly and have some meat sauce on the stove now. Have purchased little containers that hold 1 cup- They are great for making up meals that I can put into the freezer for me. A big mindset change for me is not drinking with a meal and waiting 30 minutes till after I eat. Wow I had no idea of the habits we form and how automatic it is to reach for a water etc when you serve your meal. This is something I will get used to in time no doubt.

Monday I return to work and I feel Im ready. The only thing that might be a little challenge for a while is the tiredness but I am very lucky that I have a great boss and he will allow me to be flexiable around how Im feeling.

Absolutely no regrets - I am so happy to have made this decision for my health and wellbeing

Have a wonderful weekend all :)

Shirley - Wintery Australia

Oh and wanted to share the Get Well Card my Husband brought into hospital for me - he has a great sense of humour - my surgeon had a laugh when he saw it too

ShirlAus
on 7/7/17 8:46 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Doriam R.
on 7/8/17 5:28 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Congratulations!!

Thanks so much for posting!!

Gwen M.
on 7/8/17 6:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks for the update!

Did your surgeon approve you advancing your diet early?

It is definitely challenging to retrain your brain from drinking with meals. But it gets easier with time :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Amyvsg0504
on 7/8/17 6:57 am
VSG on 05/04/17

I started my mushy a few days early too. One I was going back to work and I need the calories for energy. I stuck with super basic and it was really almost soup like. 2 my appointment with with my nut had to be delayed by almost a week because of her being out of the office. Just take it very very very slow and know your body.

The drinking gets easier. I just don't even poor myself a glass of anything. I have a harder time at work because I have a job where you eat and drink when you can or it might not happen. Is till the hardest for me is soda. I went from 3-4 20oz sodas a day to nothing cold turkey and man oh man do I still crave it but I am almost 4 months clean.

Good of luck on your first day back.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/8/17 9:22 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

At 15 months post-op I still set a timer to remind me when I can resume drinking after meals. I am fine during the meal because I put away my drink while eating. At work I always have a water bottle with me and I basically continued the sip,sip,sip I started right after surgery.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Most Active
Recent Topics