Cereal?

hollykim
on 7/6/17 11:21 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 6, 2017 at 4:38 AM Pacific Time, missy161 wrote:

Thia may be a weird question-

i love cereal- when will I be able to eat it again? I'm talking corn flakes or Chex cereal, nothing sweetened.

thanks in advance!

I suggest you check the sugar content of those cereals on the ingredient list.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/6/17 2:30 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You want the truth? Never.

My surgeon's office advises to avoid mushy foods for the rest of your life. They slide out of your sleeve and leave no feeling of satiety.

I loved oatmeal before surgery. I ate it every day. I think I've had it maybe five times since my surgery in 2013. Cereals and similar grain products are empty carbs that will trigger carb monster cravings in record time.

As others have said, just because you CAN eat it doesn't mean you SHOULD.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

MissNexxie
on 7/6/17 3:54 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

+1000 to all those who said "DON'T!"

I, too, loved cereal. "Healthy" kinds like Chex, Special K, Whole Grain Cheerios. Bowls and bowls and bowls of it. Any time of day. It's a big reason why I got to be morbidly obese. I had to say goodbye to those and I gently suggest you do the same. And not just because of hidden sugar in the cereals but because milk is also high in sugar.

This surgery requires (and empowers) a new way of eating and it's important to look at it that way right from the get-go, as a permanent change instead of how soon you can eat what you ate before, but in 'smaller' amounts. Think protein for breakfast: eggs, yogurts, meats, cheese, etc. At most nowadays, I will put a tbsp of flaxmeal in the blender with my protein shake. That's it. Take care.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/6/17 5:25 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

You should start eating cereal as soon as you want to be obese again.

It's an excellent food for weight gain.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

seattledeb
on 7/6/17 5:33 pm

It's one of the foods I did permanetly lose. Not because I was so saintly but because it would make me voliently ill. Every couple of years I try a bit. Nope..still doesn't work.

I loved eating cereal before WLS. Bowls and bowl of it.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/6/17 5:56 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I never ate bowls and bowls of it. I just used a big old mixing bowl and ate it all at one time. LOL.

I don't even bring cereal into this house. It's one of the few things I refuse to let my family eat -- I don't do this with chips or cookies -- and trust me, they are tempting, too. My gripe is that people actually think cereal is a healthy food. I never want my son to think that cereal is an actual meal.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

seattledeb
on 7/6/17 6:04 pm, edited 7/6/17 11:04 am

Swimmer boy loves cereal. It doesn't bother me to be around.

He keeps his candy in his room. Mostly he likes icky candy!

I hide food I don't want to see as I look across the kitchen in the crock pot. Presently it's holding coffee nips and I have my huge bread box/garage for holding all the bread products I don't eat.

seattledeb
on 7/6/17 6:06 pm

There is a comma problem with this post. Alas.

jenorama
on 7/6/17 9:32 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

So back when I was on a shakes and entrees weight loss plan, I used to make an enormous double shake, which to be honest the way I made it was only about 220 calories for a huge 48-oz shake, but then I'd pour it on two measured cups of corn flakes. Hmm...why wasn't I losing weight???

Jen

NYMom222
on 7/9/17 3:31 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

That made me laugh...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Recent Topics