How did you feel 2 weeks out?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/7/17 3:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

20g of genepro, nonetheless, so more like 0.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/7/17 3:51 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You're joking, right?

Missy, I understand that you want to believe that your surgeon's office has your best interests at heart, but I learned a long time ago that you have to be your own best advocate for your health. That means doing the research, understanding everything that you possibly can and recognizing that doctors are not infallible.

You say that your surgeon has performed 800 surgeries, which to me, isn't that many. For reference, my surgeon had performed over 2,000 VSGs when I had surgery. Is the 800 surgeries a combination of VSGs and RNYs?

I'm not asking these questions to humiliate you. I'm concerned that you're not getting the best care/advice from your surgeon's office. It's very easy to lose weight immediately after surgery. It gets harder, honey. Trust me.

Do you know the difference between a nutritionist and a registered dietitian? Google it if you don't. Most nutritionists who work in bariatric surgical offices have NO EXPERIENCE dealing with people like us. One size does not fit all. It's usually easy to pick out the really stupid ones from the advice they give people who have undergone WLS.

You need protein to heal. If you don't get it, your body will eat your muscle. Please, please, please start doing some research and don't swallow what your surgeon tells you so willingly, like you do that Genepro. Both could do permanent damage to your body.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/17 5:03 pm

My Nutritionist may be a registered dietitian. I'm not certain of her credentials. She does not work solely with the bariatric surgeons. She is with the University of Colorado and said she works mainly with diabetics and bariatric patients. I'll double check with her the next visit, or on the paperwork.

Yes, she did tell me to up that protein or my hair would fall out and my nails would be awful as well as the healing process. She also said that the villi in the intestines are replaced every 2 days and that without enough protein that would not happen and would cause malnutrition. She helped me make a diet plan to get enough protein.

I don't know for sure how many vsg surgeries my doc has done. He is a trauma surgeon as well. When we were talking of complications he said." in 800 surgeries I have only seen one leak" so I assumed he has done 800 vsg surgeries.

Thankfully I have had a lot of experience over the last 11 years with my husband as well since his rny. I just don't know exactly what the difference is as far as diet between the surgeries. I understand the anatomical difference very well.

thanks for your constructive comments.

I do appreciate them.

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/17 4:31 pm

Yes, I was way low on protein- they want me to have 45-60 grams of protein. The nutritionist said I need to make sure I am eating 3 meals and a snack so yes- my ways are changing. Today so far I have had under 300 cal and 27 g of protein. I need to add a scoop of protein to something for dinner.

I know it's a journey and I know I don't know everything. I have lived with my husband who had rny 11 years ago and he has maintained a 100 lb + weighloss which I have prepared his food for- so I do understand what the changes need to be and that it doesn't mean that you can't ever eat normal food again- it is just the new normal. It really depends on your definition of normal I suppose. I don't ever expect to eat giant desserts or piles of pasta, but I do think that if, at some point, I feel like I want to eat a one inch piece of cheese cake and be happy with it that's not going to sabotage me forever. I was never a binge eater, thankfully.

Gwen M.
on 7/7/17 7:28 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Your protein goal should be more like 60-80.

It's great that your husband has had success with his RNY.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/7/17 2:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On July 7, 2017 at 9:33 PM Pacific Time, missy161 wrote:

Well, I disagree with you. I am successful so far and I have run everything past my surgical team and nutritionist. I am frankly surprised what a rude turn this post has taken. For you to say there's no way I will be successful is very negative and rude! I am keeping my calories below 300 and chewing just like they said.

I will say if you don't have something nice to say or at least constructive, don't say anything at all.

You have been "successful" for two weeks. That counts for almost ZERO when it comes to the long-term journey of WLS.

"Hey, you're screwing up, you need to change if you want to be successful" IS constructive. Patting someone on the head and enabling them to build bad habits that will keep them from losing weight in the long term is one of the rudest things I can think of.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/17 5:07 pm

Yes, I only have 2 weeks experience with my own body, but 11 years experience with my husband - although he had RNY

I don't mind positive input. it just rubbed me the wrong way.

maybe it's just that this week has been a week from hell culminating with my payroll team screwing up and shorting my paycheck 46 hours and sending my budget into chaos. their response was, we'll catch it up on the next paycheck in 2 weeks....a lot of good that does me. my car was totaled on june 5 and they still haven't settled the loan so we are living in a family of 5 with 4 workers and 1 car. I'm totally done!

so sorry if I snapped. it's been a bad patch.

Laura in Texas
on 7/8/17 7:22 am

Hang in there.

Those of us who have been here a while are here because we want to help those behind us. I get worried when I see someone who put all her faith in her surgeon and nutritionist. There are a lot of bad ones out there.

Hopefully your surgeon was a good cutter. That is his job. The rest is on us. We are in charge of ourselves. We have to do our own research and become our own advocates. Honestly, no one else cares about us as much as we need to care about ourselves.

Read all the regain stories. I read them all. There was a good one posted today. We can all learn from them. I love it when people admit what they were doing isn't working, are open to suggestions, and make a new plan.

As the saying goes, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Stick around and learn from the people here. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/7/17 3:48 pm

I think it is far kinder for those who are years out and successful to tell you that your menu choices are not good.

This is the easiest weight loss will ever be for you. Cultivate good habits now, whi*****ludes protein first and avoiding simple carbs. Those habits will help you through the rough times, such as head hunger, that will invariably happen.

I had a great surgeon, but his NUT and dietician were slim women who never had a weight problem. Their idea of a good post-op puree diet was cream of tomato soup or cream of wheat.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Mirandia
on 7/3/17 10:39 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

My pain lasted about 5 weeks total ... but it wasn't all that bad. It really only hurt when I had to stand up or sit down. Felt like a pulled muscle. Wearing my binder helped allot.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Most Active
Recent Topics