How did you feel 2 weeks out?

JenniferAshley
on 7/3/17 1:42 pm
VSG on 06/19/17

Hey all. I'm still feeling some pain...definitely around my large incision where they took my stomach out. My ribs and back are sore, as well. I hear so many stories of people feeling great by this point...me...not so much. It still hurts to bend, stand, cough, laugh, and sneeze. Thoughts?

Side note: My doc/nutritionist had me on liquids for 7-10 days, then I transition to soft foods. Anyone else have this? I had no pureed foods stage. Just says to start at yogurt and work my way down the list according to tolerance. I tried a little tuna salad on Day 11, was too much. I literally took 3 teeny, tiny bites. Praying that didn't start my pain up...

Cathy H.
on 7/3/17 3:49 pm, edited 7/3/17 8:49 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I think perhaps a lot of people, like me, expected there to be pain, so don't consider that a big deal. I did still have the pains you're talking about, but they are normal, so I still classify that as doing great.

My plan called for first week clear liquids, then weeks 2-4 soft foods. The only time the word "pureed" was used in my plan was during this period when I was told to puree any soups with stuff in them...vegetable beef, potato soup, et****il they were liquid. I did not have a phase where I could puree chicken or stuff like that. This is my phase 2 guidance:

PHASE 2

Start: As directed by surgeon (approximately one week after surgery)
Duration: About 3 weeks. New foods will be added one at a time
Diet: Semi-solid moist foods slowly working up to approximately ½ cup each meal
Goal: Remember to eat protein foods first! You need to focus on the volume of food you consume.

Initially, you may be able to eat only 1 to 2 tablespoons. Gradually increase the amount of food you
eat to ½ cup. Use a standard dry measuring cup. Remember to chew thoroughly.
- All foods from previous stages, including protein powders or supplements to meet protein goals.
- Continue protein supplement beverages. (Protein powder may be mixed with foods)
- Cream of Wheat, Cream of Rice or oatmeal, pureed with no lumps
- Cottage cheese - low-fat or non-fat
- Yogurt-non-fat, light (No fruit chunks and less than 10 grams of sugar per serving. Plain Greek
yogurt has a higher protein content.)
- Potato-boiled and mashed with skin removed (Do not eat fried potatoes)
- Add the following pureed soups ? chicken noodle, chicken rice, cream of chicken, cream of
mushroom, turkey noodle, vegetarian vegetable, cream of potato, tomato
- Sugar-free pudding
- Scrambled moist egg or soft boiled egg
- Seasonings may be used such as Mrs. Dash, cinnamon, and artificial sweeteners.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Gwen M.
on 7/3/17 4:42 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

For me, I felt great at 2 weeks post-op... great for having had major surgery. So I pretty much felt how you're describing. I was off pain killers but probably still tired a lot.

As for eating, it might be that you're not quite ready to move to soft foods yet. Or perhaps you didn't chew enough? I'd go back to the previous food that you tolerated for a day or two and try again. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NewMe75
on 7/3/17 6:47 pm, edited 7/3/17 11:48 am
VSG on 05/31/17

Hello Jennifer,

I can't speak about the pain, I was very lucky in my recovery process. But I can tell you that my program calls for the puree stage, which is phase 2 in my program. This phase can last anywhere from 2-4 weeks. I also was not allowed any Jell-O, soup, broth, etc in the beginning. I had my surgery on 5/31/17 and from that day until June 4th, I could have only water. On June 5th I started my protein shakes. Three shakes a day along with my 64 ounces of water. I did this until June 20th, and now I am doing two shakes a day and 3oz of protein pureed with 3oz of vegetables pureed. I can have other things now, but that is my meal for a day.

JenniferAshley
on 7/3/17 6:54 pm
VSG on 06/19/17

It is so interesting how surgeons vary their plans. I am using my health insurance with a very reputable hospital that was credited by the "American College of Surgeons Bariatric Center of Excellence with the designation of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) Accredited Center - Comprehensive." I truly hope they wouldn't steer me wrong.

My plan states 7-10 days liquid, 2-4 weeks soft foods (wide range of things including ground meats and lunch meats...the only pureed food would be something like a large piece of meet). Then, I go to the "regular" bariatric diet.

NewMe75
on 7/4/17 10:20 am
VSG on 05/31/17

I was back to work two weeks after my surgery. As I stated in my previous post, I had a wonderful recovery. I didn't really have any pain, just discomfort from gas. I never vomited, just got nauseous from time to time. I had an hiatal hernia that my surgeon repaired while I was in surgery. But everyone is different, my roommate in the hospital had the very same surgery on the same day and she was in bad pain most of the time. The only pain med that I received was IV Tylenol, and that worked wonderful for me. I was prescribed Zofran and Dilaudid for home, and I haven't used either one as of yet. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post-op for me.

JenniferAshley
on 7/3/17 6:55 pm
VSG on 06/19/17

All these aches and pains freak me out...I am constantly worried about a complication.

Cathy H.
on 7/3/17 7:30 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Is this the first time you've ever had abdominal surgery?

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

JenniferAshley
on 7/3/17 7:51 pm
VSG on 06/19/17

This is the first time I've ever had any type of surgery. I literally can't relax my mind, I've been constantly stressed about leaks, blood clots, etc. I seriously can't wait until I'm out of the danger zone.

Cathy H.
on 7/3/17 8:58 pm, edited 7/4/17 3:53 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Ahhh, I thought that might be the case. That's probably why many of us don't really talk about what you're going through right now, because it is normal after abdominal surgery, and honestly, this surgery is waaaay less painful than a lot of them. I've had a few, most recently an open umbilicial hernia repair 8 months before my VSG. That one involved an 8-in*****ision across my belly button and through the muscle to get it all sewn up and fixed. The recovery from that was much more painful than the VSG. And, lucky me, I get to have a full hysterectomy in a couple of months as well!!

For a first timer, I'm sure you are hurting and a lot of things scare you. You're going to feel pain, especially in that main, deepest incision. That one went through all the layers of fat and muscle, takes longer to heal, and is going to hurt for a while. That is also why walking is so important, to help your stomach muscles get back into shape and help the healing process.

Just know that in a week you'll be feeling so much better, you'll be wondering why you worried so much. Hang in there, we all go through it. When you go back for your 1-month checkup, you'll be off and running with your new life!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!

Most Active
Recent Topics