I think I am having a mental breakdown

Ugh7699
on 7/2/17 6:37 pm

I did find some oikos yogurt that I like and has 11 grams for 5oz

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/17 11:19 pm

Try the oikos triple zero 6 g of sugar in 5 oz.

Rachel B.
on 7/2/17 11:11 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

This is the times we realize how satisfying CHEWING is! During commercials, get up and walk laps around the house. I do that to push my steps, and my cardio. Good luck!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

dh101
on 7/3/17 8:07 am
VSG on 06/29/17

My plan required 2 weeks of New Directions protein shakes before hand. The hot cocoa and the chocolate pudding were acceptable, the vanilla, chicken soup, and lemon pudding were tolerable. But by the end of week one I was craving anything savory. I was soooooo tired of sweet! I found that a little Chinese hot oil in the chicken soup, mad it palatable.

Post surgery I am on "full liquids" + protein shakes. Now I am allowed a wide variety of shakes. I really like the Unjury unflavored, chicken soup, and their vanilla is acceptable.

I made some creamy cauliflower and pollock soup yesterday. In order of what went into the pot: 1 medium chopped onion, 4 stalks of celery chopped, 1 teaspoon olive oil to keep them from sticking, 1 small head of Cauliflower, 1 teaspoon Marjoram flakes, 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon Better Than Bullion Fish Base, boiled till cauliflower and celery were soft. Added 1 pound pollock (could be any scrod... New England term for the least expensive white fish today.) and 1 pint of 2% milk. (1% can be used.) cooked over a double boiler for another 30 minutes till the fish was flaking apart.

I then ran it through a blender! Poof creamy, tasty, savory soup. Poured into 4 oz zip lock containers.

Best of luck.

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

Amalilly
on 7/3/17 1:59 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 05/23/17

I have read your question and what I think is under it. I'm going to take a stab at it because it seems the others have focused on the process of actual food and liquids and shakes.

MENTAL BREAKDOWN: No! You are probably hyper aware of the freedom others have in eating anything they want; of the food choices you'll "never" be able to "ever" have again. You are also processing the reality of the choice you made to have surgery. It is real. It has actually happened.

Have you ever bought something you'd never seen before and then suddenly you're seeing it every where (car, shoes, bag, etc)? If not, you're weird! We all have. Once something is in your consciousness you become more aware of it around you.

If you want kids but haven't managed to get pregnant, EVERY woman you see is pregnant. If you're single and long for a partner, EVERYone out there is in a relationship.

This is the stupid magic of our minds. To combat this effect I have a couple of tricks I use. a) I work to avoid all or nothing thoughts and judgements; b) I have learned to accept the current situation for what it actually is and not how it is failing to be my 'fantasy', and; c) I stay focused on the moment and the wonder that fills it.

I hope you're 'obsession' with food passes soon. Maybe it will with getting 'real' food into your system and maybe with some brain work too.

All the best as you travel this wonderfully unique journey of yours.

Weights: HW 370, SW 336, GW 180 (fantasy 145), CW 268.1 (pre surgery -34, M1- 26, M2- 16)
Dates: Referral - Aug 26, 2015, Info Class - Dec 4, Optifast - May 2nd, 2017, Surgery - May 23rd

Surgeon: Dr. J.D. Yelle, Ottawa, ON

Ugh7699
on 7/4/17 6:09 am

Thank you for the response. i do think it is a hyper awareness. it started with my pre-op diet. It seemed every where I turned there was either an ad on TV or something on the street. driving me bonkers. Just another week and i will be able to have eggs and tuna salad and soft foods. And yes if I am being honest, a full realization of what i have done. I am on the lighter side of obese but with underlying health issues. I know that there was no other way for me to be able to maintain the weight loss but i guess i am in the mourning phase. Keeping the faith that this will pass. Thanks again for the support

Gwen M.
on 7/4/17 8:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I get what you mean about the "hyper awareness." I think that, with time, it does subside. It has for me, at least. I stopped watching most food shows (except Top Chef) and I started tuning out food ads that are everywhere. I think, also for me, it has helped to have new things to focus on? As a runner I, um, started noticing people's shoes a LOT. I never did that before :P But now I'm always curious about what shoes people have.

It's a huge mindset change, though. I know I was pretty focused on food when I was SMO and I had to figure out how to retrain that focus to other things.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 7/3/17 4:09 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was on liquids for almost a month due to Harvey being an uppity sleeve. At any rate, I was ready to stab someone with a sugar-free popsicle if I had to eat one more. Disclaimer: no popsicles were harmed in the end.

It is very hard, but it will pass. Popsicle humour aside, eating those (the sugar-free ones count as a liquid) really helped.

I froze premiere protein shakes and put them in a blender. The chocolate ones come out just like a frosty.

I also made fat-free panna cotta, which is an italian dessert. It's usually made with cream and sugar, but I used fairlife milk and vanilla premiere protein and it was...interesting and still had protein.

When I craved beef and chicken I'd make beef stew or chicken stew and puree them once I could do purees.

I was weird and could not tolerate fish and eggs for ages (for AGES) and still have trouble with eggs, but beef? Day 1 purees was all I could keep down. Thanks for being a jerkface, Harvey.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Ugh7699
on 7/4/17 6:09 am

you gave your stomach a name? :) I LOVE that!

preininger
on 7/4/17 6:03 am - Bandera, TX

It's hard! I literally mourned food, I cried , I screamed at my husband all because I wanted to eat! But I didn't and after the first year it got easier and easier.. I know that it sounds like a long time but when the weight starts to literally fall off I concentrated on that it was exciting and before I knew it a year was gone and I was down 178 pounds. Here it is eight yrs later and I'm still down 178 pounds. ð?¤--

Hang in there it's not easy and it's not fun but it will pass and you will be very happy.

Most Active
Recent Topics