Post-Op VSGers: Downsides?

Cathy H.
on 7/2/17 11:55 am, edited 7/2/17 4:57 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I had a super easy surgery and recovery, had to beg them to let me go home 24 hours after surgery cuz they weren't going to let me because my potassium was low. After making me down 2 of the most god-awful tasting cups of potassium, the surgeon-in-charge (mine had to go out of town after my surgery), finally relented! Had minimal pain, and healing went great.

The only downside I've found is that I am one of the unlucky ones whose taste buds went a bit whacko after. I am hyper-sensitive to sweet things now, and have trouble finding beverages that taste good to me. I have found a couple, but it's a process.

I, too, followed my program guidelines to the letter, no cheating...EVER! No problems with any foods and things have been pretty great all in all!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Ugh7699
on 7/2/17 1:50 pm

I am 4 days post op and I would say my only complication would be that I can't take a deep breath. No issue getting in the water but I am struggling with the protein intake. Only managing about 40 grams a day. Every day is a bit better than the one before.

Arjeffries
on 7/2/17 3:29 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

The only problem I had, my liver was accidentally nicked. I had to stay 3 extra days in the hospital for observation. I follow my Dr's plan 70 percent of the time. The whole family has benefited from the healthier diet and all of the activities I am now able to enjoy. The only downside is finding new coping mechanisms instead of being an emotional eater.

jachristmas
on 7/2/17 5:47 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I was blessed with an easy surgery and recovery. Very little pain and no complications. The only things I have experienced are some hair loss (nothing you can do about it) and I have had some times where my blood pressure runs low and I have dizzy spells and one instance where I am pretty certain I fainted. I have managed this by making sure I get enough protein and a minimum of 64 oz of water daily, and I don't go light on the salt in my diet. I also occasionally drink things like Powerade zero, or propel with electrolytes for a boost. I do not regret getting sleeved and would do it again.

~Amanda~

HW at consult #1 5/19/16: 348 lbs.

Consult #2 8/31/16: 331 lbs.

SW 12/14/16: 286 lbs.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/3/17 3:40 am

Complications can happen. Expect the best - be prepared for the worst: what if....???

Hopefully you will be the one with none or minimum complications.

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mirandia
on 7/3/17 7:05 am
VSG on 03/14/17

My hair thinned out a bit .. but nothing drastic and it will grow back. Other than that its been golden for me.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

missc_26
on 7/5/17 5:15 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Kreping it real I have had a couple complications since my VSG Oct 2016.

• I got a wound infection. I know my body well so was able to identify it quickly and 2 doses of antibiotics and good self care sorted it out.
  • I got GERD, which when you have never had reflux before is an incredible shock to the system. The trick is to take the PPI's (acid reducers) you are prescribed and introduce new foods back one by one. I still can't have tomato, hummus, cooked salmon or too much sugar... but I know what triggers me and am letting my stomach heal and intend to try them again after a length of time.

Everybody is different and from what I see most people have great success and no complications as long as they stick to the plan.

Buyers remorse is a very real experience, I would say for my first few months I would weave in and out of "What the hell did I do to myself" and "I'm so proud I had the courage to finally take this step".

It gets easier over time and I have no regrets. Wishing you all the best on your journey to a happier, healthier lifestyle.

Most Active
Recent Topics