Question for the sleeve peeps - any of you have dumping after being sleeved?

CPearl
on 7/1/17 9:51 pm - MD

When I had my RNY, I had dumping, which kept me straight. Post take down, I might have a teensie weensie bit of delayed dumping (feeling flushed, rapid heart, overall "ick") if I eat something with a LOT of sugar in it. I have heard some sleevers have dumping and some do not. I'm going through the process to have VSG - just curious.... how many of you have dumping? I'll be honest, I'm kinda hoping I will have it when it comes to sugar.

Thanks!

redhead65
on 7/1/17 10:44 pm
VSG on 05/19/17

I do. It freaked me out when it first happened. Very effective to keep me eating right!

CPearl
on 7/2/17 5:53 am - MD

Thank you for responding. This gives me a hopeful feeling. It was super effective for me. I got down to 135 (size 2-4) and stayed there for 8+ years. It was great! I'm really hoping it will be there after VSG surgery. Crossing fingers!

Cathy H.
on 7/1/17 11:24 pm, edited 7/1/17 4:24 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Afraid I can't help with this one. I avoid sugar like the plague. I figure it's one of of the reasons I ended up weighing 360 pounds, so I want no part of it anymore. Closest thing I get to sweets is my daily Dannon L&F 80 yogurt for breakfast!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

White Dove
on 7/2/17 1:16 am - Warren, OH

You are getting an insulin response, not dumping. It happens when you eat sugar on an empty stomach. If you eat sugar when your sleeve is full of "real food" then you won't have that reaction. I have RNY and only dump on an empty stomach.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CPearl
on 7/2/17 5:42 am, edited 7/1/17 10:46 pm - MD

Sounds like our RNY experience is slightly different. When I had mine, I had to read all my labels to make sure the grams of sugar were 9 or less or else I would dump. I also could not eat high carb things like potato's, sweet potato, bread, flour, crackers, certain fruits or fruit juices because they made me dump. I had to stick to protein and veggies with maybe two bites of fruit (or if an apple - half an apple). The only difference between having an empty stomach or eating protein and veggies first made, was whether or not I would dump within half an hour or 2 hours later. The way my surgeon explained it to me, was that because the food is bypassing the duodenum and upper portion of the small intestine, it is being dumped directly into a lower portion of the small intestine having been less digested - sugars, alcohol, and things your body interpret to be sugars such as high carb foods are received there kind of like a surprise - a sudden rapid absorption at a lower point in the small intestine - causing a rapid release of insulin - the symptoms of which - are dumping syndrome. It was very effective for me.

White Dove
on 7/2/17 8:03 am - Warren, OH

After VSG food does not bypass the duodenum and dump directly into the small intestine. The intestines are not bypassed at all.

Dumping that occurs with RNY cannot occur with VSG no matter how many people believe that it is happening to them.

CPearl
on 7/2/17 11:22 am - MD

A part of my small intestine will never be back in play again because the portion that was my roux limb is not there... so everything already goes into my small intestine at a lower point.

I appreciate your input. However, you had RNY - I had RNY - we can speak to that experience. I don't think we can speak to VSG experience, to do so would be speaking on what we believe. I can't speak to what it's like to live with the sleeve. Research by people more educated than me shows dumping syndrome is a real side effect of VSG for some people - not a belief.

https://www.gicare.com/diets/anti-dumping-post-gastrectomy-d iet/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4875983/

I'm asking the people who have had VSG what has their experience been because I want to know from real live people living the real VSG life whether or not they experience it.

White Dove
on 7/2/17 6:09 am - Warren, OH

You are describing the dumping that happens with RNY.

That does not happen with VSG. What some people experience with VSG or no surgery at all is an insulin response if too much sugar is eaten on an empty stomach.

I have RNY and have the dumping that you described.

redhead65
on 7/2/17 7:07 am, edited 7/2/17 12:08 am
VSG on 05/19/17

You should google your theory. There are numerous sites that indicate that dumping can happen after VSG.

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/dumping-syndrome.htm l

https://www.healthcentral.com/article/my-bariatric-life-dumping-syndrome-explained

Most Active
Recent Topics